This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

MIPS Questions

MIPS Questions

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 27, 2001 @ 10:37am

No, I'm not going to beg for a MIPS version, I know that story already. I was wondering why the FPU is so much slower on MIPS. I remember hearing somewhere that MS had something to do with it, like the OS wasn't optimized for MIPS. If this is the case do you think MS would want to fix this anytime soon?<br>I also have a question about 3D operations on MIPS. I've ordered the embedded tools from microsoft (Free plus shipping) that let you program for PPC so I will want to see the source code to play with :). Is there some way to flatten the 3d aspect of Quake so it DOES calculate only in 2D? This would probably require some long programming sessions and a lot of innovations, but would it be possible? If so, would this increase speed or slow it down due to all that 3D --> 2D processing?<br>And would there be a Pocket PC Programming book out there? I enjoy reading books more than downloading tutorials off of the internet. I can read them anywhere at anytime with a book.Last modification: Moose Master - 01/27/01 at 07:37:19
Moose or Chuck

Re: MIPS Questions

Postby Nicholas Knight » Jan 27, 2001 @ 4:58pm

What you just described is essentialy doom with better graphics and different items/weapons.<br>Quake depends on three dimensional construction; making it calculate in "2d" would essentialy throw out most or all existing levels and they would need to be rebuilt from scratch, and we'd essentialy be back to "faking" 3d as some clever mapmakers did in DooM, but it just wouldn't be the same.<br>If you want to speed up gaming by moving it from a 3d game to a 2d game, you might as well just use DooM and save yourself a lot of hassle.
Nicholas Knight

Postby Mark (KILzt) » Jan 28, 2001 @ 5:47am

AAaaahahahahahhahahahahah calculate Quake in 2D... aaaahahahahahaaa.<br><br>Wow mate, please.. NEVER GET INTO PROGRAMMING.<br><br>Speaks To IDS Dev Team..<br>"Hay guys I found a really cool way to make Doom3 ultra fast, lets code the routines in 2D not 3D."<br><br>Sacked..
Mark (KILzt)

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 28, 2001 @ 8:22am

No, I know. I just thought it would work well on a CASIO if it could even be done. Since Casio's are good at 2D. I knew the BSP maps would have to have been completely redone, just thought I'd give out a few ideas. I was kindof thinking more of crushing the image internally. I don't know though. I just got my embedded tools and haven't had a chance yet to even look at the syntaxes (sp?)<br><br>What I really wanted to hear was a recommendation on a WinCE C++ programming book.Last modification: Moose Master - 01/28/01 at 05:22:30
Moose or Chuck

Postby Sethsez » Jan 28, 2001 @ 2:22pm

Actually, it isn't THAT far-fetched.  After all, the Sega Saturn was a 3D system, but it generated polygons as distorted sprites (aka 2D).  And it had a pretty decent version of Quake.  Also, 2D as 3D doesn't have to mean Doom.  For example, Duke Nukem 3D was actually 2D like Doom was, but it still had all the features of Quake, except objects were sprites.Last modification: Seth Bilodeau - 01/28/01 at 11:22:42
Sethsez
pm Member

Postby PCG_Norman » Jan 28, 2001 @ 2:41pm

Hey... that's brings up another question: who's going to port Duke3d to PPCs? Or if that's already out, where can I get it?<br><br>
Norman Chan
Reviews Editor
www.game-guru.net
Editorial Intern
www.pcgamer.com
PCG_Norman
pm Member

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 28, 2001 @ 4:41pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Matt Keys » Jan 28, 2001 @ 7:22pm

Moose Master, if im not mistaken I think there is some kind of "programing windows ce for dummies" book out. I probably really butchered the title, but if you go to a book store online or offline. Im sure you can find what you are looking for. I would personally try Amazon.com firstLast modification: Matt - 01/28/01 at 16:22:51
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Dan East » Jan 28, 2001 @ 9:49pm

Moose: I don't own a single CE book, so I can't really recommend anything.  :(  Try searching the wince and pocketpc newsgroups on Deja...<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Jan 29, 2001 @ 3:13pm

Alright. I'll look around. Thanks for the help. If you don't have any books then what did you use to start CE programming, Dan East? Oh well, It's probably more similar to normal C++ than I know and I've just not programmed in far too long.
Moose or Chuck

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions