This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Here's what's next...

Here's what's next...

Postby Dan East » Jan 25, 2001 @ 6:07pm

I'm half afraid to post this (for fear of getting everyone worked up), but I will go ahead, as those waiting for the source code need an update.<br>On our original site, the following was posted:<br>[hr]<br>By: Christian Amor Kvalheim<br>Hello.. <br><br>If I remember right Quake uses floating point numbers for all its calculations. Neither the ARM or MIPS processor has an inbuilt FPU core and is using software emulation. This would explain why a 486 66Mhz can play quake faster than IPAQ. The only sure way to speed up the Quake port is to recode the floating point rutines to use Fixed integer math.. I remember doing this way back when I did some demo rutines on the 486 SX and the performance boost is pretty impressive..<br>[hr]<br><br>So, I implemented fixed point routines, and did a comparison on the iPaq between the new fixed point math, and the existing floating point math.  The result was that the new routines are 6.5 times faster than the ones currently used by Pocket Quake.  Quake does indeed use float data types in most of its 3d code, so an improvement of some kind will certainly be achieved.  The fps will of course not jump by a factor of 6.5, because the floating point math only represents a portion of the work required to render Quake.  However, I am hoping that the fps will at least double.  I am more than half-way done modifying Quake's code to use the new routines.  <br>When this optimization is complete, and when I have cleaned things up a bit, I will release the source code to Quake so that others may contribute (sound, network, MIPS build, landscape, etc...).<br><br>Dan East<br>Last modification: Dan East - 01/25/01 at 15:07:37
Dan East
Site Admin

Re: Here's what's next...

Postby Dan East » Jan 25, 2001 @ 6:20pm

In addition, the MIPS processor also does not natively handle floating point calculations.  Thus, the current optimization should benefit MIPS devices roughly as much as it will StrongARM devices.  This may be the optimization that will make Quake playable on the Casio devices (up to this point I have seriously doubted that Quake would be playable on the Casio devices).<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Justin Lewis » Jan 25, 2001 @ 11:50pm

Cant wait!!!!!!<br>Will you continue to work on the project after you have released the code?
Justin Lewis

Postby Mark Rejhon » Jan 26, 2001 @ 12:01am

Excellent!<br><br>Dan, can you please email me at marky@marky.com for your mailing address (and preferably, also phone number) for the $200.00 USD cheque that I promised to the first person to successfully port Quake to the PocketPC platform and publicly release its source code:<br><br>http://www.brighthand.com/ubb/Forum33/HTML/004912.html<br><br>So far, it looks like you're the winner!<br><br>(1) By the way, what convinced you to start PocketQuake in the first place?  Was it the above thread?<br><br>(2) Has iD software replied to you about PocketQuake yet?
Mark Rejhon

Postby Mark Rejhon » Jan 27, 2001 @ 12:17pm

Dan, any comment?
Mark Rejhon

Postby Mark Rejhon » Jan 28, 2001 @ 11:23pm

Just sent you some email!
Mark Rejhon

Postby Anonymous Asian » Jan 29, 2001 @ 10:55pm

Cool!When your Casio (MIPS) version comes out, Ill be one of the first ones to get it! Awesome job porting it to any pocket pc!
Anonymous Asian

Postby Zanity » Jan 30, 2001 @ 2:02pm

Thnx alot Dan.<br><br>Your work is really appreciated. :)<br>Keep up the great work...<br><br><br>
Zanity
pm Member

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions