This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

PocketFrog on SourceForge?

PocketFrog on SourceForge?

Postby fzammetti » Sep 11, 2005 @ 5:01am

This is more a question for Thierry than anyone else, although it probably wouldn't hurt to know others' feelings as well...

Has consideration ever been given to putting PocketFrog up on SourceForge? What do people think of the idea?

One of the obvious benefits would be that developers interested in contributing to PocketFrog's growth could be made developers with commit priveleges and we could perhaps begin to see a true, community-driven evolution of the library.

Another benefit would be a free hosting home for all the artifacts floating around in one centralized location. I'm thinking for instance of all the content from my old PocketFrog Developer's Corner, as well as things like Conan's tutorials, and so on.

I would be more than willing to offer myself up as the person to drive this effort. I currently have two of my own SourceForge projects ( and ) and am a contributing developer on a third (), so I "know the ropes" rather well.

Does this sound like a good idea? Thierry specifically, what are your thoughts? If it is something you would like to persue, just let me know and I'd be more than happy to get it all set up and ready to go.[url][/url]
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby jaguard » Sep 11, 2005 @ 11:16am

It would be nice if pocketfrog have developed very rapidly, but sadly, it doesn't. And I don't think things will change if pfrog would go to sourceforge.
The only benefit I see is a free hosting.

PS: Why have people stoped contributing their sources right here? I remember year ago it was a lot of postings with nice and useful code snippets.
jaguard
pm Member

Postby BIGBEN » Sep 12, 2005 @ 11:50am

Thanks for links fzammetti. The most interesting part for me was your skill invenotry... :wink:

As I know for an open-source (or such) project the very important part is it's organisation and management. IMO the same should be applied to PF to make it move.

I like your idea.
BIGBEN
pm Member

Postby _Andrey_ » Oct 7, 2005 @ 4:20pm

I like this idea too!
With best regards, _Andrey_
http://www.wegroup.org
_Andrey_
pm Member

Postby Presto » Oct 7, 2005 @ 7:01pm

I like the idea too... I think PocketFrog would benefit greatly with multiple people contributing to it, and it would leave Thierry free to focus on PocketHAL.

With the way everyone contributes optimizations to code here at PM, any submissions to PF could undergo some awesome scrutiny before being integrated and quickly turn PF into the best mobile game library out there. I bet Thierry would see even more donations heading his way too. ;)

-John
Presto
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Oct 7, 2005 @ 7:31pm

I think until Thierry voices his thoughts one way or another, this is probably a moot discussion. Can't hurt to keep hearing who supports the idea though :)
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby kornalius » Oct 8, 2005 @ 3:38pm

I support the idea. I still think PocketHAL should remain a closed source project so that Thierry can make some money for his hard work.

PocketFrog should be open-source for sure. It would help it's development and it's a great library. There should be more support for the PC side also.
Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
kornalius
pm Member

Postby Kzinti » Oct 9, 2005 @ 9:03pm

Kzinti
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Oct 10, 2005 @ 2:48am

Ok Thierry, thank you, I'll get the ball rolling later tonight. The project should be set up this week, barring any delays on SF's part.

With regard to license, we can apply any license we like on SF. I tend to prefer the Apache Software License myself (). If you or anyone else has a different opinion, now would be as good time to bring up the concerns. The license can be changed later, but it's probably better if it isn't.

I can only speak for myself, but I hope you won't completely stop work on PF... I certainly understand it isn't your focus, and really hasn't been for some time, but I know for me your input always has been and will continue to be invaluable to the PF community. I think it's fair ro say that you understand the code better than anyone else, even those of us that have done work on it ourselves. My hope is that being put on SF will only spur others into contributing, and hopefully to do so in a more structures way than has been possible in the past, but it would be a shame, to me at least, if it caused you to stop contributing :)[/url]
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby fzammetti » Oct 13, 2005 @ 11:51pm

fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby kornalius » Oct 15, 2005 @ 2:35am

Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
kornalius
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » Oct 15, 2005 @ 3:48am

Please see new topic here:

fzammetti
pm Insider

Return to PocketFrog & PocketHAL

Sort

Forum Description

SDKs for fast and robust device-independent access to Pocket PC display hardware.

Moderators:

sponge, Kzinti

Forum permissions