This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

VSync in 2700G chip

VSync in 2700G chip

Postby hamster » Mar 1, 2006 @ 10:47am

Hi! :D

I'm writing a 2D program using PowerVR MBX (the 'lite' release?) and I'm surprised about the slow execution of my program despite the simplicity of it. I think (but I'm not sure) that the main problem could be the vsync, I has read that I could disable vsync using eglSwapInterval, but this function is not available for the PowerVR release that I'm using... Are there any other possibility to disable vsync? Is really so slow to change a texture bitmap using glTexSubImage2D with the 2700G chip? Exist any other OpenGLES implementation instead of PowerVR that supports Dell Axim acceleration?

Thanks!
hamster
pm Member

Postby hamster » Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:05am

hamster
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 3, 2006 @ 3:27pm

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby hamster » Mar 4, 2006 @ 3:20am

hamster
pm Member

Postby rcp » Mar 4, 2006 @ 8:42am

PowerVR has two compressed texture formats. These can be stored directly into memory, and thus the download time is very fast. If your images are static, you can use this format. If your images are not, you can use RGB565. If you are seeing slow download times, it is probably because you are using a format or size that doesn't fit. ie; the texture size must be a power of 2, you can't download sub-images, things must fit RGB565 or one of the compressed formats.
While texture download is slow, it is not that slow (37ms). We play movies using a 256x256 RGB565 texture and it plays at 30fps with plenty of time to spare. If you would like, you can post your download code and I will look to see if I see any performance problems.
rcp
pm Member

Postby joshbu [MSFT] » Mar 8, 2006 @ 10:17pm

joshbu AT microsoft dot-you-know-where
Windows CE Software Design Engineer

“This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
joshbu [MSFT]
pm Member

Postby Tala » May 31, 2006 @ 9:08pm

Tala
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions