This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Any developers interested in an idea?

Any developers interested in an idea?

Postby sponge » Aug 12, 2006 @ 10:44pm

I've had an idea for a game that should be relatively easy flying around in my head: a PPC FPS based off of the BUILD engine/an enhanced Duke3D engine. I would think it'd be a moderately easy job porting it over, much less involved than doing an engine from scratch.

Anyone here think they may be willing to take on the idea?
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby jaguard » Aug 13, 2006 @ 5:38pm

jaguard
pm Member

Postby sponge » Aug 13, 2006 @ 5:55pm

No, I mean commercial. You can legally create, and sell games based off of GPLed source as long as you release the engine source if someone asks you.

(There have been several games based off of the Q1 engine that went shareware after that went out.)

In this, and many other situations, the engine isn't where the the majority of effort is being put into: it's the content (your game itself) that remains under your copyright. In this case, the engine wouldn't be too much more than just a straight up port. It would only be useful to programmers; alone it wouldn't do anything.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby jaguard » Aug 13, 2006 @ 9:50pm

jaguard
pm Member

Postby sponge » Aug 13, 2006 @ 10:43pm

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby jaguard » Aug 14, 2006 @ 9:11am

So you're not suggesting to create a game, but a mod for quake instead, selling it like if it was your game? :).
Well yes, this one could work. I thought Dan East was able to make this pocketquake fast enough(at least for a new 400-600mhz PPC)?

PS: What I meant, is that creating own game, even using some engine would require months of work and neat know-hows implemented, so not everyone is willing to throw this hard work away to someone.
jaguard
pm Member

Postby sponge » Aug 14, 2006 @ 11:05am

They're called total conversions generally, but yes that's the gist of it. You make every single asset in the game with your own two hands, and instead of having the engine look for the original game's data, you have it look for yours. Warsow and Tremulous are two (freeware) examples, the former being Q2 engine, the latter being Q3 engine.

I do agree on your second point, although if you're choosing an engine which has mod support, it makes it SUBSTANTIALLY easier, nowhere near the level of months.

Personally, I'd rather do a project like this in the Q1 engine, but there's a couple things that bother me about the engine and PQ on the PPC that I don't like.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby gamefreaks » Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:42pm

Had a look at the sources. Should be a doddle to port, at least for the software renderer.

Don't know about the OpenGL stuff though.
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. -Woody Allen
gamefreaks
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Aug 17, 2006 @ 4:54am

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby gamefreaks » Aug 17, 2006 @ 10:37pm

I downloaded the sources to this one:

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet. -Woody Allen
gamefreaks
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Aug 18, 2006 @ 12:10am

http://eduke32.com/

Might want to skim through that one. It's a bit more focused than JF, and might be a bit easier to do.

[edit] Oops, it's actually a fork of JF that includes more modding possibilities. Read into it wrong.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions