This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

coming from .net, now in c++, need decent 2d and forms

coming from .net, now in c++, need decent 2d and forms

Postby billston » Oct 9, 2006 @ 2:44am

Howdy all.

I have a program that I've written using c# with windows forms. However, for one of my screens I've found that I require better 2d performance.

I'm now rewriting my program in c++ (I'm fairly new to it) and am trying to determine the best way to implement my screens. One of my screens is just full text entry, another is a list item view (like the right pane in windows explorer), one is completely custom drawn (it's the one that needs the 2d performance!).

I've been looking at gapidraw and browsed some of the other game engines. None seem to provide any "forms" controls. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel by creating custom controls, but will if I have to.

I don't require super advanced 2d functions. Can someone recommend some direction on a good way to meet these requirements?
billston
pm Member

Postby jaguard » Oct 9, 2006 @ 3:23am

Well, every game developer eventually face this problem - he have to reinvent the wheel and write his own custom controls - buttons, radiobuttons, list items and such.

You have two options - either you make another wheel, or you try somebody else's wheel, reinvented before. And you will need to adapt this wheel to your platform, requirements and such.
Like you may try CEGUI, but you will need to port it yourself first.
jaguard
pm Member

Postby billston » Oct 9, 2006 @ 4:54am

Well considering I have absolutely zero desire to port a graphics system.....

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of mixing GDI with directdraw or something or that nature?

Or does anyone have anything to share about creating a basic text editor field using gapidraw or something of the like? It seems like a wheel I don't want to reinvent.
billston
pm Member

Postby Presto » Oct 9, 2006 @ 6:22pm

Sounds like your project is a candidate for PPL. There's a forum on it here.

The main website is: http://ppl.arwen.com

I still haven't used it myself, but it sounds like it could be what you're looking for.

-John
Presto
pm Insider

Postby billston » Oct 10, 2006 @ 4:50am

billston
pm Member

Postby sponge » Oct 10, 2006 @ 9:01pm

PPL is a language contained in itself. You can integrate it into a CPP project for example the game logic, but I'm not sure if you can integrate PPL for it's 2d engine ex.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby billston » Oct 11, 2006 @ 4:22am

Hmmm.... well I think at this point I'm going to attempt to invoke a thread from my otherwise gdi application that will run a game loop and do directdraw or gapidraw or pocketfrog or whatever works in c++. When I'm done with the screen I would release the resources and return to full gdi.

My custom screen doesn't require any gdi, so I should be able to run, say gapidraw, independently from the gdi even though it was invoked initially from that context, no?

This is all just what I've been gathering and hoping might work. Any thoughts on this?
billston
pm Member

Postby Sergio » Nov 1, 2006 @ 12:41pm

Hi!
Have you considered ?
It has a 2d framework (an other things like sound playback and video playback). It is easy to work with, specially if you are new to C++. It comes with a already compiling project that you can use as template and a lot of documentation.
Drawing functionality in GledPlay is much faster that GDI, but it is compatible with GDI. Su, if need to use it, you can call GDI functions over GledPlay surfaces.

Regards,
Sergio.
Sergio Fierens

Sergio
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions