This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Which are the best/fastest PPC FPS 3D engines?

Which are the best/fastest PPC FPS 3D engines?

Postby wayne » Jul 9, 2007 @ 4:44pm

I have been researching engines in the past, but really only scratching the surface as far as handhelds go. What does anybody else know of? Yeti3D is no longer being supported. There are an massive wad of these things on sourceforge for non-handhelds.
wayne
pm Member

Postby drgoldie » Jul 11, 2007 @ 6:08pm

Have a look at Mobex3D. I haven't used it myself but a friend of mine says it is great. It relies on OpenGL ES though (so no optimized S/W rendering...).

Daniel
drgoldie
pm Member

Postby sponge » Jul 12, 2007 @ 5:59pm

Using a Quake/Doom/BUILD engine is always a possibility. The third one is especially a good option if you can deal with sector-based mapping.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby drgoldie » Jul 12, 2007 @ 6:11pm

If you start a project today I'd only go for engines that have OpenGL ES support. In a year from now basically any phone will have h/w 3D support as they have cameras today. If h/w 3D is not available you can always fall back to s/w OpenGL ES implementations...

Look for Hybrid's Rasteroid (free for non-commercial use) or Vincent (open source) for s/w OpenGL ES implementations.

Daniel
drgoldie
pm Member

Postby PointOfLight » Jul 13, 2007 @ 12:48pm

Eric Pankoke
Programmer
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
PointOfLight
pm Member

Postby David Horn » Jul 15, 2007 @ 12:10am

I believe the EDGE SDK now has OpenGL ES support.
Crosswind technique: "Using your peripheral vision, react to body movements, gasps, groans, and shouts from the other side of the cockpit, and always remember that it's better to be lucky than good."
David Horn
<b>The Boss</b>

Postby wayne » Aug 4, 2007 @ 6:05pm

Thanks guys, I didn't realise there were all these replies. The last month has been an bit of wash, but I have found some very good news.

Toshiba has just announced an 3D chip for mobile phones that does 100million polygons. We can give up waiting for PSP to do Linux now.

http://www.slashphone.com/69/7768.html

Posting an thread over at general discussion forum.
wayne
pm Member

Postby drgoldie » Aug 4, 2007 @ 9:12pm

I don't think that this chip will be a success. Phone builders don't want extra chips. Intel had to learn that lesson with the 2700G.

Fortunately the TI OMAP 34xx series was already released 6 months ago and should therefore show up in phones in roughly 6 months from now. It will probably be the first ARM CPU then with OpenGL ES 2.0 support...

Daniel
drgoldie
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Aug 4, 2007 @ 10:05pm

Manufactures are most concerned with battery life, and anything that can push that many polys would suck up some serious power.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby wayne » Aug 5, 2007 @ 3:49pm

I'm yet to get to review this technology, but clever technology can use an lot less than expected. I have taken note of an number of high performance low powered processing devices over the years, and there are some beauties about. Being for lower powered Mobiles, it might not be too bad for PDA's at least. If it is similar to an PDA's display power consumption, it might only reduce battery life by 50%, which is an good compromise. But if the display was really low powered, like three times less, than it might be something like %80.

But if this proves nice, every PDA gamer in the world should write to their handheld maker about making an media game handheld. Sorry, excited about the possibility, as our 3D is so slow for so long.
wayne
pm Member

Postby wayne » Aug 6, 2007 @ 3:12pm

Appears that the 3D chip also includes the processor etc:

http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/view ... p?p=281560
Last edited by wayne on Aug 6, 2007 @ 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayne
pm Member

Postby wayne » Aug 6, 2007 @ 3:32pm

Appears that X-Forge is back on, with support for this chip:
http://www.acrodea.co.jp/en/pr/2007/07/ ... _re_1.html
wayne
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions