This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Strange GPS device Mesada 2440

Strange GPS device Mesada 2440

Postby diProtector » Jul 14, 2007 @ 7:47am

I've received this strange device from China last week. You can found description of the same model here: http://www.mesada.com.cn/ProductsView.asp?id=40

Here is a brief description of device: after switching on a nice menu apears on the screen. There are placed buttons/links to usual functions of such devices (GPS status, launch navigator etc.). In settings I can set path to application which will be launched after pressing "Navigator" button in main menu. smart2go navigator is preinstalled. And launches without any problems.

Problem is in launching of other software. Here are examples of launchable software:
1. Simple "MessageBox" programs compiled for WCE4.2
2. Few packed with packer/protector programs
3. Everything installed on device.

Unlaunchable programs:
1. Simple "MessageBox" apps compiled for ppc2003\2005
2. Any other programs. After launching - clock appears on the screen for few seconds and nothing happens then.

If program is packed\protected (has a destructed import table) - some message displayed on chinese: (0xc0000005, address 0x00000000). One unlaunchable program after packing was successfully launched without crashing!!!

I've wrote simple CreateProcess(explorer.exe, ...) program (there are no documented ways of how to get into device internals). After launching usual Windows CE settings and folders becomes available. While trying launch programs from explorer by doubleclicking - some message on chinese is displayed (not the same as during launching from main menu) - there is no crashing information yet.

Who has expirience with such devices? How to make it run any software (I know it really can do this).
Attachments
mesada_scr.zip
Some screenshots (launching original app, packed app, windows folder)
(52.17 KiB) Downloaded 1628 times
diProtector
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Jul 14, 2007 @ 4:59pm

You may have got ahold of something similar to the Casio BE-300, which is a device that utilizes Windows CE 3.0, but not the Pocket PC shell. That part of the device was rolled out by a third party (bSquare), and was quite proprietary. The device was hacked to allow true Pocket PC apps to run, but was limited from day one by its weak and strangely designed hardware.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby diProtector » Jul 15, 2007 @ 4:10pm

It's a real wince 4.2 device. It really runs applications from PocketPC (among them last version of TomTom, books reader and few others). From ~30 programs I've tried to launch only 3 got to work. Interesting thing is that these 3 programs weren't designed especially for WinCE, they are usual ppc2003-2005 applications.

I think the problem is in calling of some specific function which isn't implemented in device. That's why while calling such function such apps fail with 0xC0000005 exception. Without debugging ability it's really hard to find such specific functions. Even if I would found them - it gives me nothing, because I can't update ROM. Interesting - if I'll put all neccessary dlls at app folder - would it run? I'll try now.
diProtector
pm Member

Postby diProtector » Jul 16, 2007 @ 6:41pm

Problem was solved by adding aygshell.dll. 90% of soft became launchable. Fully functional ppc device with 16x10 cm screen and built-in tv is a really cool thing guys!
diProtector
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Jul 17, 2007 @ 2:22am

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby diProtector » Jul 17, 2007 @ 6:47am

This device was sent by one of my customers from China to make protection of their software on SD-card. It was in white box without any brand-stickers, no names or serials, just device (also without any names on it), external gps antenna, car-charge unit, fastening and 2gb sd-card. There are only 500 pcs of such devices in the world. Word "Mesada" was taken from OEMINFO and then googled. Previous model can be found at . Dunno how much it can cost, but device is really very cool. I'll put it in my car once I'll find gps-maps for my city.
diProtector
pm Member

Postby sokknoo » Jul 25, 2007 @ 3:42pm

sokknoo
pm Member

Postby Jharod » Aug 2, 2007 @ 7:56am

Hi!

Where and how did You put the aygshell.dll file?
I have the same type of device.
Jharod
pm Member

Postby diProtector » Aug 2, 2007 @ 4:51pm

diProtector
pm Member

Postby Jharod » Aug 2, 2007 @ 9:18pm

Hi!

Please give an example of an application that didn't run before adding this file and did after.
My device seems to be immune for this treatment :[

JG
Jharod
pm Member

Re: Strange GPS device Mesada 2440 CHEAP 7 inch GPS CE4.2

Postby tony » Nov 2, 2007 @ 5:02am

tony
pm Member

Postby diProtector » Nov 15, 2007 @ 9:34pm

I've tried Ozziexplorer. It launched, but hanged. Depends on version (I've tried just one version). Same with others, e.g. only some verions of TomTom and iGo were able to launch and work without problems (I've googled - same problems have users of any PPCs)
diProtector
pm Member

diprotector

Postby Willy » Nov 16, 2007 @ 3:42pm

Hi! diprotector

Go here for the OZICe files - try http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jt_mobi ... ed%20files).zip, copy entire oziexplorer folder onto SD card and use the OziExplorerCE (Handheld_300 arm).exe file to load.

I have one of these

more detail at

How do I hack into Windows Ce 4.2? Ambition is to explore files, load an on-screen keyboard so that serial numbers can be entered to register software like OziexplorerCE
Willy
pm Member

Postby diProtector » Nov 16, 2007 @ 6:10pm

just wrote simple explorer.exe launcher. You can use explorer.exe itself.
diProtector
pm Member

oziexploer

Postby tony » Nov 17, 2007 @ 12:48am

Well Ozi runs with a virtual keyboard you can enter the serial and accepts it by running in full mode

Problem !1 on restart all registry changes and serial number is gone.

Problem worked around, 3 taps to get it going :lol:
Last edited by tony on Nov 21, 2007 @ 6:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony
pm Member

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions