This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Pootr

Pootr

Postby randall » Aug 14, 2007 @ 10:27pm

This really isn't relative to Pocket PCs, but the character definately got his start here at PocketMatrix.

(WTF, are images disabled?)

I've been working on a new Flash game for about a day now. So far I have the basic controls and tile collision working.

You can play around with it at:

Nobody is allowed to make fun of the beta graphics, sounds or music. At least not yet, this is a solo project.

If you'd like to watch this game progress over the next 2 weeks, keep visiting that page. I make updates about 2-3 times a day so a friend can see what I'm up to.
randall
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Aug 14, 2007 @ 11:44pm

It was disabled some time ago because of the amount of spam that was (is) being posted.

Nice so far with your game, although something smells a bit fishy about it. Well, maybe fishy isn't the right word. :)

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby sponge » Aug 15, 2007 @ 8:37am

Cool stuff so far, weird timing as I was wondering what you were up to a few days ago. Are you using ActionScript 3 for this? I suspect you'll run into speed limitations relatively sooner.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby randall » Aug 15, 2007 @ 9:23am

This isn't designed to run on Pocket PC, so I shouldn't have any speed issues. I've done a couple other Flash games as well.

These are done as samples/tests:

[url=http://www.devastation3.com/content/gamedev/flash/]
Microtank[/url]
[url=http://whatevergames.com/?c=games/microtankcombat/index.html]
Microtank Combat!
[/url]
randall
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Aug 16, 2007 @ 6:44am

Eevn on the PC, I had tried to write a traditional tile-based engine in Flash a couple of years back, but in AS2 I didn't get far before I was running into speed barriers due to namely all the redrawing it had to do. And that was with really cheap, simple physics, and no AI at all.

I've seen some impressive things done with the new Flash, as far as I can tell without having used it yet, it seems to be a whole different world.
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby randall » Aug 16, 2007 @ 6:58am

I'm using Flash MX, and compiling to version 6. So it really isn't using the latest/greatest.

I've created 100x100 maps (which is 3200x3200 pixels) with no issues at all- in fact, it renders just as fast as if it were 10x10.

I think the current map I have up there is 50x50, randomly generated.
randall
pm Insider

Postby sponge » Aug 17, 2007 @ 6:52am

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby sponge » Aug 30, 2007 @ 7:04am

Been playing with AS3, it's some really nice stuff. Managed to recreate a parallax starfield effect in AS3, and was able to add more particles, and a fake depth of field, all while running at a decent FPS still.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8773/arghju6.swf
holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions