This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

WinCE PE Compactor?

WinCE PE Compactor?

Postby kornalius » Apr 25, 2005 @ 4:17pm

I have been using UPX for my different projects on the PC for the past few years. Now that I have a project for the PocketPC I would like to compact the .exe the same way.

Are there any tools that will do this for the PocketPC executable files?

If not, anyone would be interested in allowing UPX to support WinCE's PE? The source codes for UPX are available.
Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
http://www.arianesoft.ca
kornalius
pm Member

Postby mm40 » Apr 29, 2005 @ 10:46pm

mm40
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Apr 30, 2005 @ 3:12am

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby FrankW » May 1, 2005 @ 4:00pm

FrankW
pm Member

Postby kornalius » May 1, 2005 @ 10:10pm

I was talking about compressing the .exe using a compression algorythm that uncompresses it at load time into memory. A 600k .exe can be compressed to 170k easily with a good compression, and when you run it, it is uncompressed to memory and ran.

Take a look at Upx.
Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
kornalius
pm Member

Postby refractor » May 1, 2005 @ 11:07pm

refractor
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » May 2, 2005 @ 1:44pm

This was discussed a number of years ago here at PM. I'm pretty sure I posted the results of some informal testing regarding this compression. zlib can make files smaller than they would be otherwise, because the OS uses a faster / less efficient algorithm.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » May 2, 2005 @ 6:15pm

I tried searching for my post that showed how much files were compressed by the OS, but all I found was this:
http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5898

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby fzammetti » May 2, 2005 @ 7:17pm

I looked at virtually every PE compressor at one point a while back and turned up nothing... So, I suspect you'll be writing your own (or updating UPX or similar) yourself.

It should be noted that *compression* might not be the goal here, as it frankly was not for me... Back in the pre-Windows days, there was a considerable amount you could do to make an EXE very difficult on crackers... Similar tricks can be played with PE's, although perhaps not quite as successfully.

A great story I have about this (well, great to me anyway)... when I took my Assembly class some years ago, our final was to create a program that the teacher could not crack... it was a simple program... enter a password and have a message displayed... it had to be self-contained, and so contain the password itself, and there could be only one real password... he was exceptionally good at defeating all sorts of executable protection schemes (one might ask why he was so good, and why he felt this made a good final project, but I digress)... in something like 20 years of teaching, he never had a student present him something he couldn't crack in under a week (had a couple that took a few days, most were a few hours at most)... until he met me... I coded the program in about the most obtuse and crazy ways I could think of so that even if he had the actual source in front of him it would be tough to figure out the password... THEN I ran it through 6 different EXE encryptors, compressors, etc. The end result is that it took him something like EIGHT MONTHS to finally crack it, and it was only after figuring out what I had done (and after my A in the class was long since in the books!). Incidentally, it took him 9 hours he said AFTER he got it to a completely unprotected form, so my obtusde coding would have earned me an A anyway!
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby xPeterx » May 2, 2005 @ 9:33pm

xPeterx
pm Member

Postby mamaich » May 3, 2005 @ 4:48am

mamaich
pm Member

Postby kornalius » May 4, 2005 @ 2:20pm

Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
kornalius
pm Member

Postby fzammetti » May 4, 2005 @ 8:35pm

IIRC, it's transparent compression, like software compression on the desktop... if won't tell you what the compressed size is, it'll still report the "real" size... although you can see both on the desktop, I guess you can't (without some 3rd-party tool any) on a PPC.

That's my recollection anyway... anyone else remember for certain?
...and so I said to Mr. Gates: "$640 billion should be enough for anyone!"
fzammetti
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » May 5, 2005 @ 3:46am

Dan East
Site Admin

Postby kornalius » May 5, 2005 @ 12:48pm

Regards,
Kornalius
President
ArianeSoft Inc.
kornalius
pm Member

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

A discussion forum for mobile device developers on the Windows Mobile platform. Any platform specific topics are welcome.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Digby, David Horn, Kevin Gelso, RICoder

Forum permissions