This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

IR question

IR question

Postby dan » Apr 1, 2001 @ 7:17pm

I know htis comes up a lot, and people get annoyed...and i did like 6 searches places....but does anyone have any good software for an ipaq using the IR port.  Specifically, I was looking for a remote control but anything else would be interesting too.<br>
dan

Re: IR question

Postby Jaybot » Apr 1, 2001 @ 8:57pm

Nope, none exist for the Ipaq.  As far as I know, the only remote IR program that exists is for WinCE 2.x MIPS devices, which works on the Casio E-115, but not on the E-125 or the EM-500 for some reason.... I thinkit's because of some difference in the voltages of the machines.  But as far as an ARM version... I've never heard of one.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 2, 2001 @ 12:08pm

The reason the IR remote program worked on the earlier model of Cassiopeia is because of the version of IrDA. The older model uses IrDA 1.1 which is standard speed, but has a greater signal range. The newer models use IrDA 1.2 which is faster but you can only be a few inchs away to use.<br><br>As for other IR programs, there is Conduit's Peacemaker. It allows you to "beam" data to and from a Palm device. A version for beaming only contact information and "business cards" is available as a free download (Personal version.)<br><br>If you want to send other information as well as use IrDA devices that are designed for the Palm, you'll need the Profesional version. There is a 30 day trial download. Registration is $14.95.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 2, 2001 @ 3:01pm

My PocketPC doesn't talk to Palms, it think's they're not intelligent enough to have a conversation with it. :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Apr 3, 2001 @ 4:15am

Yeah, peacemaker was a drag, you had to deal with the palm crap. they suck, especially the mSeries. cheap!
Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Jaybot » Apr 3, 2001 @ 4:35am

What if the Irda was hacked on the new CE devices?  I don't see why they would make it any different on the new Casios (E-125, EM-500) vs. the older ones (E-115, E-105, E-100), that just doesn't make any sense.  In fact the newer devices' irda seem less stable to me when syncing with my laptop or other PPCs, than my E-115 and E-100 did, compared to my E-125... and this all seems strange (I've heard that they actually changed the Irda hardware itself) since they all push info through CE at 115k (max) anyway, so why the change?
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 3, 2001 @ 9:30am

Well, I have an inside scoop on a new piece of software. It's called Pong it will let you play 2 player over the IRDA port.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Apr 3, 2001 @ 10:05am

There are two different IR standards, "Consumer IR" and irDa. Consumer IR is what your TV remote uses. It has a longer range than irDa. Some Windows CE devices provided low-level enough access to their IR hardware (or it could be hacked) to allow enough control over the IR to pulse signals in such a way that they could communicate with Consumer IR encoding. Most Windows CE devices handle the irDa at the hardware level, thus it is not possible for a program to tell the device to pulse the IR for 25 milliseconds, for example. That type of control would be required for Consumer IR communication. Beyound that, the range of irDa is much less than Consumer IR, thus you would have to be practically touching the equipment you wanted to control for your Pocket PC's signal to reach it.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 4, 2001 @ 7:33am

HOLY SHIT, OMG you it can't be, two player PONG, omg i'm gonna pass out, o wait i doon't know anybody with a ppc
Moose or Chuck

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 5, 2001 @ 3:20am

Hehe. Just thought I'd give you some IR info.
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » Apr 6, 2001 @ 6:43am

pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions