This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Using a PDA to backup smartmedia to a microdrive.

Using a PDA to backup smartmedia to a microdrive.

Postby Tias » Apr 7, 2001 @ 10:31pm

I have a Fuji-digitalcamera and i want to BackUp the files from it onto preferably a IBM 1GB microdrive. Now the idea i had was to manage to have a PDA (ipaq or such) to either connect the actual Camera through the serialinterface or read the Smartmedia-card through an USB or Serialinterface and then save the images onto a IBM microdrive wich i figure should work directly in the compact flash slot of the iPac (for example.)... <br><br>Please, do anyone have any idea if this actually could work? I'm going on a 2 week vacation in 2 months and i always take ~100 pictures a day. ;)<br><br>
Tias

Re: Using a PDA to backup smartmedia to a microdrive.

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 7:20am

I'd like to help you, but I need a bit more information on the digital camera you're using.  Is the only interface with it serial?  Or does it have a firewire or USB out, or all these all options?  What does it use for it's main memory?  Is it all just internal and you have to save it onto another device through a wire, or does it allow for addon memory (such as CF)?
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 8, 2001 @ 10:57am

Or Tias could just get a SmartMedia (SSFDC) to CompactFlash adapter. Here's .
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Apr 8, 2001 @ 11:19am

I seriously doubt that the manufacturer of your camera has produced Windows CE drivers that would allow a Pocket PC to directly talk to your camera. You would have to use a smartmedia / CF adapter. Wouldn't it be much simpler to have a CF camera and pop your 1 gig drive straight into it? :)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 11:27am

Does that run on MMC?  If that's the case, then yes, an MMC to CF adapter would be the optimal choice if you already have a Microdrive.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions