This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Jornada 548 or iPAQ 3650?

Re: Jornada 548 or iPAQ 3650?

Postby Jaybot » Apr 8, 2001 @ 11:25am

Well, based on your replies, I'd say go with the Ipaq.  While it pains me to do so because I'm a Casio fan, I really think you'd be much happier with the Ipaq.  Mainly based on your need for the need for Excel (which when using large spreadsheets runs MUCH better than on a Casio, if you ask me) and Word and some Powerpoint stuff; your primary use for PIM (the fastest on the Ipaq); and the fact that you were never a big console gamer, so you really wont miss the gamepad fnuctionality that much and you may actually be more comfortable with the stylus/button combo based on the games you mentioned.<br><br>The bible is easy to get for all devices.<br>Oh and movies, do not jerk along on the Ipaq or the Casio.  I've got three full-length movies on my microdrive right now just to prove it. :)<br><br>And I still have a much longer post than you. :)   (did I really write that much?  Damn I should clean that up and submit it as a hardware review somewhere) :D
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 8, 2001 @ 11:16pm

One comment about video: It must be properly encoded to playback smoothly. The reason is that the internal memory access on a PPC is slower than that of the Desktop systems that most video is intended to be played back on. There are programs to convert video as well as sites that host converted video (such as PocketMatrix does.)<br><br>As for item 7 (MP3 playback) there is the somewhat better Windows Media Audio available. It only allows certain audio configurations, but creates files half the size of equal quality MP3s.<br><br>The program that converts both video and audio is the .
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Peter Milliron » Apr 9, 2001 @ 12:17am

Okay, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the iPAQ may be the best choice for me.  As I begin my search for this elusive puppy, any suggestions for online retailers?  AND I want to make sure to snag the latest version, right?  The 4G12 and later serial numbers?<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Peter
Peter Milliron

Postby Peter » Apr 9, 2001 @ 4:35am

Wow!<br><br>I snuck out at lunch and made the trek to our local Sears store.  As luck would have it, they had both a Jornada 548 and a iPAQ 3650 in stock.  I persuaded the sales guy to let me look at them.  He went in the back room and brought out both - new in the box.  <br><br>The Jornada worked just as another one I had recently taken a look at.  I love the form factor and without anything else to compare it to, it seemed great.<br><br>Then we pulled out the iPAQ.  It looked pretty cool right out of the box but seemed almost slippery in my hand.  Until we put the CF sleeve one.  At that point it wasn't slippery but was definitely bulkier.  Not too bad though.  It wouldn't power up on it's own or even with the AC adapter plugged in.  That is, until we read the instructions and slid that little tab on the bottom into the proper position.  Then it came right on.  Ohhhh baby does it hum!  At least twice as fast as the Jornada!  I'm a believer now!  It was VERY impressive.  <br><br>So, now I know what I want.  The problem is finding one at a decent price.  The impulse buyer in me wants to run back to Sears on my way home and pick up the one I tested - and the only one in stock, by the way.  ($599 and it includes the CF sleeve.  Also, it's the 4G12 serial number series.)  BUT since we didn't follow the manual instructions and just fired it up without charging it for three hours (and then put it away) have I screwed up that unit?  Or should I be patient because I can get a better deal online?<br><br>Whaddya think,<br><br>Peter<br><br>P.S.  I know the E-125 users feel strongly but the form factor just ain't there for me on that one.  I'm going for the iPAQ!
Peter
pm Member

Postby Robbert » Apr 9, 2001 @ 5:10am

I bought a Jornada 540 (16meg version) for ~$350 off some place I found from PriceWatch.com and then bought a 64meg mem card for $55 giving me a 80 meg Jornada for ~$400. It was for my girlfried so she wouldn't be playing many games with it but for the price screw it. I'm going to some some more research before I buy one for myself but for what I've seen so far it ain't that bad (I do like the Casio though).
Robbert

Postby NovaPhoenix » Apr 9, 2001 @ 8:24am

Well, I'm buying a PPC soon, and that was great info for me too.  Looks like I'm going to be getting the Ipaq! :D Hopefully, my Credit card comes in this week so I can go down to David Jones and get it!  I'll let ya know what I think of it when I get it.
I now GOT a PDA... And its kicking up a tantrum!
NovaPhoenix
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 9, 2001 @ 8:45am

You know, after all this information, I've almost convinced myself to go back to the ipaq... nah :)  I couldn't give up my Casio.. but I'd like to have both (yeah, like I can afford it). <br><br>Considering the price that you found for a new Ipaq on Ebay, that seems like a pretty good price for the 3650 (but man, I hate ebay).... You may want to check mysimon.com.. Sometimes it has a pretty good 'lowest' price.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby cmw » Apr 9, 2001 @ 10:44am

I have a Casio, Jornada and Ipaq....and a few Palms too. The Casio has the best screen and sound, bulkiest also. The Jornada looks good feels good and has the CF slot. The Ipaq is the ligthest and fastest,handsome with a very nice screen. Your worse decsion is not making one. You can't go wrong with any of them.
cmw

Postby Jaybot » Apr 9, 2001 @ 11:34am

He made a decision.  The CF slot on the Jornada is kinda limited because it only supports CF I... therefore no microrive :(  And how the heck can you afford a casio, a jornada, an ipaq, and a couple of palms on the side.... that's a sh#t load of money!... .. Can I have some?
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Previous

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions