This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Cellphone speed increases

Cellphone speed increases

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 15, 2001 @ 10:39pm

I just noticed this over at YahooNews, as it was posted on the 10th, but it is still very interesting. Just think, connecting to the internet at 2.5MBps using your cell phone. If I'm not mistaked that twice as fast as a T1 line.
Moose or Chuck

Re: Cellphone speed increases

Postby Chris Edwards » Apr 16, 2001 @ 1:44am

Your close.. T1 = 1.544Mbps x2 = 3.088Mbps
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby simonwc » Apr 16, 2001 @ 5:05am

the news sounds good, but the actual thing is...the speed that reach to the real "3G" (2.5MBps) come out at 2002 or 2003 according to the news, which is mad long to wait...but meanwhile , we will see 144k of 3G coming out in the end of this year according to Sprint
simonwc
pm Member

Postby MMI » Apr 17, 2001 @ 10:54am

Sorry to spoil the fun, but that bandwith number is very misleading. Keep in mind that:<br><br>1) It is per cell tower, not per phone. So, it will be faster than now, but as with cable modems (or even worse) you're sharing the bandwidth with many, many other people.<br><br>2) Digital call quality is limited today by the above shared bandwidth constraint. The first thing cell phone companies are going to do with the extra bandwith is increase the per-call allocation for voice (i.e. give you a better sounding connection). Remember, they have 100 or 1000 times as many voice customers as data customers right now. Dollars is dollars.<br>
MMI

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 18, 2001 @ 7:17am

shhhh... i don't want to be depressed.
Moose or Chuck

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions