This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Landscape Mpeg4 Video!

Landscape Mpeg4 Video!

Postby Matt Keys » Apr 18, 2001 @ 11:01am

Although the PacketVideo player released its newest version with landscape support on February 21st it did not receive the publicity it deserved. This is a great player for full screen high compression video. You can download it off of PacketVideos web site . It is even capable of streaming video using a wireless connection. Expect a how-to for turning DVD's into Mpeg4 soon. <br><br>Last modification: Matt Keys - 04/18/01 at 08:01:11
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Re: Landscape Mpeg4 Video!

Postby k » Apr 19, 2001 @ 3:15am

Mpeg4 is that Divx?<br>I know it's great for encoding full screen stuff, but what about smaller movies. I don't think a pocket pc needs all the information that a pc would need just for full screen video.
k

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 19, 2001 @ 5:14am

MPEG-4 is:<br>DivX:-)<br>OpenDivX (The MayoProject)<br>Windows Media Video<br><br>Confused? That's because any group is allowed to make their own "home brewed" version as long as it complies with the MPEG-4 standard.<br><br>So just what is MPEG-4? It's somewhat like XML since is mainly a framework which encompasses many sub-set standrards (like OpenDivX and WMV) and meerly tells them what general type of compression that should be used. In the case of video they specified wavelet compression. So, where XML is the superset of many Internet standards sucha s HTML and VRML, MPEG-4 is a superset of many compression schemes, such as OpenDivX and Windows Media Video/Audio.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby K » Apr 20, 2001 @ 2:03am

I'm still confused. I went to the site, downloaded the program, and did some research on Divx (Mpeg 4). I read some stuff, and got some encoders - but I couldn't find anything specifically for .mp4 files. <br><br>Now I'm more confused. <br><br>I think the reason this program didn't get so much press is because, I'm sure some poeople just don't know what to do with it.<br><br>Is there a simple way for me to make my own packet video .mp4 files?
K

Postby Jaybot » Apr 20, 2001 @ 5:01am

Wait... sren't a lot of avi files encoded in Mpeg4?  Does that mean that a handful of avi files could play on a PPC? .... aww, now I'm curious, guess I'll dins out for myself.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Apr 20, 2001 @ 11:22am

Jaybot - No, those MPEG-4 encoded AVIs won't play on a PPC. The header is wrong, so Media Player fo PocketPC wouldn't understand what to do with the information. :(<br><br>K - I have not seen any program output a file with a .MP4 extension. That's probably because there are no programs yet that have full MPEG-4 capability.<br><br>There's a lot more to MPEG-4 than video and audio. It aslo encompasses text-streams, alternate audio, secondary video steams, three-dimenional information, vector meshes (for Image Based Rendering (IBR)), and many other data. Most of these features have yet to be implemented by any organization or company per the guidelines of MPEG-4.<br><br>
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 20, 2001 @ 12:56pm

Yeah, I know that WMP7 for PPC wouldn't do it, I don't even have it, it sucks.. too slow for me, and pockettv plays video much better.  As for this MP4 thing, pfft! What poppycock.  It's slow too.  At least you can change avi's encoded in mpeg4 into mpeg1 files... :)
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Guest » Apr 22, 2001 @ 6:00am

quote: Expect a how-to for turning DVD's into Mpeg4 soon. <br><br><br>I'm excited! I hope the quality/size ratio is better than mpeg.

Postby E-125 » Apr 23, 2001 @ 5:25am

I downloaded it last month. The only content that exists is on their site which you must go to from your pocket PC. When you go to the site you just keep getting the same page claiming to have content but there is none.<br><br>The only clip that I know of in existense for this player is the one that came with my Casio.<br><br>For over a meg of space on my unit and no clips to play or anyway to encode anything it is a stupid download.
E-125

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions