This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

cladDVD

Re: cladDVD

Postby Chris Edwards » May 7, 2001 @ 11:56pm

Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby 999 » May 8, 2001 @ 2:56am

pm Member

Postby Jaybot » May 8, 2001 @ 3:56am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby 999 » May 8, 2001 @ 4:38am

If you're going to capture, remember that WinMe/9x has a 4gig filesize cap. It cannot work with files larger than 3.99 gigs, so your captures will have to be at a lower quality than the source. <br><br>I made that mistake in capturing Phantom Menace. Boo, now I gotta recapture it :D <br><br>BTW- The All in Wonder really got a shitty rap. I laughed at my friend when he told me he got one. He ended up disgusted with it, that is until he got the new drivers and directX update. Long story short, he sent me a sample of his capture quality, and after having personally built a 4k machine specifically for video capture, I was extremely impressed. I picked one up at Fry's for 199 + a 30 dollar rebate to = 169.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 8, 2001 @ 10:39am

Okay, here's another question for the experts. I'm going to be taking a trip soon and I want to take some movies with me to watch (on my laptop). Well, my Inspiron has a beautiful 15" active matrix display, but no DVD drive. So what is the best format to use to encode the movies so they are a few hundred megs a piece, while keeping max quality (and native DVD resolution)? Then I'll just play them off the HDD. While I'm at it, is there an AVI, MPG, whatever, player that is better than the rest?<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Chris Edwards » May 8, 2001 @ 11:03am

999: I have used all of those apps before.<br><br>Dan: DivX would be the best format. You can go to www.projectmayo.com to get the latest version. You can usually get a close-to dvd quality video at around 400megs.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby SonicSilicon » May 8, 2001 @ 11:15am

The best encoder right now for high-res, high-quality, low memory is 's OpenDivX. It's a freeware MPEG-4 format from the people who did DivX:-), but written from scratch so it's not hacked (which means it's legal, but not nescesarilly what's done with it.)<br><br>You said you wanted to keep the movie at it's native resolution, but I'd recommend setting it so that the width is that of your notebook's true highest resolution (actual number of LCD cell trios(RGB) wide.) Upscaling on an LCD panel tends to suck, regardless of doing it in hardware or software.
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 8, 2001 @ 11:49am

Does the DivX encoding go really slow for you guys too? I'm getting 1.28 fps on my 500 mhz PIII.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Chris Edwards » May 8, 2001 @ 12:33pm

it takes a while, but that sounds a little extreme.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 8, 2001 @ 2:42pm

How do i determine framerate?
Moose or Chuck

Postby 999 » May 8, 2001 @ 4:07pm

Moose:<br><br>The easiest way is to fire up DVD2AVI and load up one of your ripped Vob files. Once loaded, find the Preview option in the pulldown menu and select it.<br><br>This will playback the Vob, as well as bring up an info window on the file's FPS. All you have to worry about is if it's a FILM FPS or not. Film is 23.976fps, while the PC standard is anywhere from 24-30fps. Not properly matching the settings will result in a visual burst of speed between keyframes when playing back video with a tremendous amount of data, i.e. panning vista shots. By Forcing the proper FILM settings, that "blast-playback" can be avoided.<br><br>Dan:<br>DivX really is a cool way to go if you fancy movie CDs to take along with you. They're better than ASF files, which were all the rage years back, and can offer visuals comparable to mpegs of much higher bitrates.<br><br>Regarding Codecs, I still prefer to use the original 3.11 ;-) DivX codec. It's a matter of preference, but it's safe to say you're going to need it anyway. Most everyone encodes with it still, and even though you have the project mayo DivX codec, you still won't be able to play a 3.11 DivX back correctly. <br><br>I don't see what was wrong with the original DivX codec to begin with. The whole "hacked microshit codec" premise was it's best feature if you ask me.<br><br>
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » May 8, 2001 @ 5:05pm

in case anyone is wondering where to get these codecs, you can get just about every one here:<br>http://video-codec.8m.com/codecs.htm
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 8, 2001 @ 7:20pm

i don't believe any of the current pocket pc movie players support divx, if i'm wrong i'd be plesently surpised since i have like 15 downloaded skate videos in divx.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 8, 2001 @ 8:00pm

Okay, first off, SmartRipper solved the problem where the title scenes from multiple languages were being intermixed (with cladDVD).<br>Now my next problem. :) This occurs with both DVD2AVI and FlaskMpeg, with both the MPEG4 and the DivX codec. I get what looks like interlaced scanlines every 4th and 5th frame on the areas of change from the previous frame. The frame rate as shown in the Statistics Window (DVD2AVI) is 29.970, and I didn't see any place I could specify an output framerate in DVD2AVI. Any ideas? Thanks again!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby 999 » May 8, 2001 @ 9:14pm

Dan:<br><br>In DVD2AVI under Video>Field Operation>Forced Film or Swap Field Order.<br><br>I would recommend not processing the audio through DVD2AVI, rather, select None for your Audio Track.<br><br>Save off the project with the proper Video Settings as a d2v file and have a go with it in Tmpgenc. Load it up as your video source, encode a few hundred frames and abort out so you can test the video quality.<br><br>I know what you're talking about, it's similar to a cheap TV-Tuner, where the scanlines seem off or late on objects that move fast. Correcting your Field Order should fix that :)<br><br>
pm Member

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions