This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Thanks Doug

Thanks Doug

Postby Mike » May 14, 2001 @ 9:54am

Thanks to Doug for the DVD-to-PPC<br>recipe.  it worked like a charm<br>for me.  It's a dream come true.<br>Others had told me I'd<br>need special hardware to do it.<br>They were so wrong.  I have<br>Hitchcock's Rear Window in blisteringly high<br>res playing on my iPAQ right now.<br><br>Those 2 gig Toshiba or Kengsington Drives<br>are now a must.  My Rear Window occupies<br>about 350 MEGS.<br><br>A few things seem to have changed with<br>some of those shareware programs Doug<br>provided links to since<br>Doug used them I think.  For instance<br>tmpgenc now has settings under some<br>different tabs than Doug said, and you<br>can start tmpgenc by clicking on the<br>exec icon for it.  No need to type<br>anything dos style into the "run"<br>dialog box.<br><br>Also, language checking is critical<br>on 2 fronts:<br>(1) Flask crashed when I first used it and<br>when I started it again it was in<br>a foreign lanuage, Estonian or something<br>very unfamiliar like that.  I tried at<br>first to work with that but it became<br>impossible and I was about to give up<br>when I found the menu for changing the<br>language back to English.  It is difficult<br>to find that given that the button that<br>indicates it is in a foreign language.<br>Anyway, Doug could save people an hour<br>or more of frustration by letting them<br>in on where that language button is in<br>the interface so it can be recognized<br>by location.  Also, the choice for "ENGLISH"<br>in the dropdown list is NOT in alphabetical<br>order with the rest of the languages.  Our<br>mother tongue is for reasons I don't quite<br>understand, near the bottom of the list.<br>For a second I thought it wasn't there at all,<br>so be aware of that too.<br><br>Now the language track must be checked JUST BEFORE<br>flasking.  I changed it to English, listened,<br>and it was indeed English.  Then I changed<br>a few other things and flasked.  Hours later<br>I had Jimmy Stewart on my ppc speaking FRENCH.<br><br>Imagine my frustration at having to go through<br>that whole hours and hours long process again!<br><br>So check JUST BEFORE flasking.<br><br>Finally, my REAR WINDOW DVD had no<br>VTS_02 etc.  They were all VTS-01 etc.<br><br>I had to do five files separately to get<br>the whole movie.  I don't know if it would<br>have been possible in one fell swoop if my<br>particular DVD had had a VTS_02 etc. file.<br><br>And one more thing, for iPAQ using mpeg in<br>landscape.  The following settings seem<br>best.<br>Top offset 36<br>Height 176<br>Left offset 0<br>Width 320<br><br>Thanks again Doug,<br>Mike P.
Mike

Re: Thanks Doug

Postby Miie » May 14, 2001 @ 10:01am

By the way I don't mean to criticize Doug<br>for not giving me a heads-up on the<br>weird occurance with Flask changing<br>languages from English to Estonian<br>(or whatever).  <br><br>It was very weird and of course no one<br>could possibly anticipate if it didn't<br>happen to them.  No, quite to the contrary<br>I thank Doug from the bottom of my<br>nerdy heart for enabling me to put my<br>DVDs onto my iPAQ.<br><br>I am very grateful.
Miie

Postby Chris Edwards » May 14, 2001 @ 10:48am

Who's Doug?
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Sam » May 14, 2001 @ 12:46pm

Doug did a great job for DVD to MPG but IRdash cannnot find my iPaq thru USB (I use Win 98) but my Active sync won't allow me to copy and convert my mpg to my Microdrive. HELP!
Sam

Postby Diego Cueva » May 14, 2001 @ 3:18pm

--------------------------

Last modification: Diego Cueva - 04/31/03 at 17:32:04
I´m currently listening to my PC´s fan
SMRF founder
Peace
Diego Cueva
pm Insider

Postby Chris Edwards » May 14, 2001 @ 4:31pm

Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Paul » May 14, 2001 @ 4:39pm

Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 14, 2001 @ 6:47pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » May 14, 2001 @ 9:35pm

So to make a Briton laugh I must call someone named Rodney " Dave ", and Chris " Doug ". Is there a chart available for other names?<br><br>Dan East<br>Last modification: Dan East - 05/14/01 at 18:35:42
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Buck Futter » May 14, 2001 @ 10:07pm

William = Bill<br>Robert = Bob<br>Richard = Dick<br><br>I can't remember the others, but they're mainly for common and older names we just don't use much anymore.<br><br>999<br><br>
Buck Futter

Postby Dick Gozinya » May 14, 2001 @ 10:16pm

Charles = Chuck<br><br>Quick addition<br><br>999<br><br>
Dick Gozinya

Postby Doug is... » May 15, 2001 @ 8:26am

Doug, as everyone knows, is Chris's twin<br>brother, the GOOD one.  Actually I don't know.<br>Very often I get names wrong, say up when<br>I mean down, that sort of thing.  Probably<br>explains how I got FRENCH on my PPC instead<br>of English.  It PROBABLY explains a whole<br>lot of things about my sorry little life, but<br>I very much appreciate Doug's, I mean Chris's,<br>excellent DVD to PPC article.
Doug is...

Postby Paul » May 15, 2001 @ 9:09am

and why is all your text so narrow? anyways...<br><br>what do i need to convert an internal ide hdd into an external drive so i can use it with my laptop occasionally?<br><br>bah, i just found a 64mb cf card for $47 (amazing compared to the prices in this country) and they wont ship outside america!<br>Last modification: Paul - 05/15/01 at 06:09:51
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Paul » May 15, 2001 @ 9:10am

where do you buy your cards from?
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » May 15, 2001 @ 10:42am

i am gonna buy mine from pricewatch.com they have kickin deals
Moose or Chuck

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions