This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

101 uses for a PC in your Pocket

101 uses for a PC in your Pocket

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 29, 2001 @ 10:52pm

So, what do you do with your Palm-sized or Pocket PC?<br><br>I know many want bigger and better games, but if that's all they wanted, they'd go buy GameBoy Colors or wait for the GameBoy Advance. Obviously they buy a WinCE machine to do other things, and I'd like to know what else you do with yours.<br><br>What do I do with mine? A lot of the obvious. Play MP3s and WMAs (ripped & converted from my own CDs) using Media Player. Watch videos with PocketTV. Play Doom4CE (with a registered .WAD file.)<br><br>And less coventionally? Take notes. Write documents. Play MIDIs. Edit graphics just taken from the family digi-cam. Browse the web (well, used to.) Enter appointments I'd otherwise forget. General experimenting with it to think of how else these wonderful devices can be used (which led me to figure out how to input multiple presses and pressure sensitive readings using the touch screen :) More on that once I've actually written a fairly detailed paper.)<br><br>Well, what have you been doing with yours?
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Re: 101 uses for a PC in your Pocket

Postby Dan East » Mar 30, 2001 @ 6:50am

You forgot an important one; Show Off! :)<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 30, 2001 @ 8:05am

Dan, we'd all like to congradulate you on your fourth star :)<br><br>I had a report for school that had to be done in-class. I brought my PocketPC to school and typed it up in no time. That's the most useful thing I've done with my pocket pc. I use the calendar, contacts, and notes frequently. I obviously play MP3s (what else can you put on a 1GB MicroDrive :) ), and video games are also a big part of my PPC's life. That's about it, other than using it to attract the females ;)
Moose or Chuck

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 30, 2001 @ 12:21pm

SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Mar 30, 2001 @ 7:27pm

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Dr. Phat » Mar 31, 2001 @ 4:32pm

Mike Greene
"Quanti est illa perna?" (How much is that ham)
Dr. Phat
the <i>phattest</i>

Postby Jaybot » Mar 31, 2001 @ 7:49pm

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Mar 31, 2001 @ 8:28pm

Moose or Chuck

Postby Warren » Mar 31, 2001 @ 9:26pm

I show off my Casio EM-500 ALL THE TIME! I definitely attracts the ladies. I've had teachers take it away and play games on it during class! On Friday, my math teacher took it from me (she said it was a distraction, although it was in my pocket) and gave the class a quiz. During the quiz, she came up to me and asked me to go into PocketQuake, so during the whole quiz, she was playing Quake, with the sound all the way up. It was hilarious. Whenever a teacher writes an assignment on the board, I nudge the person next to me and say "better write down the assignment" and take out my Casio and show off the handwriting recognition. The bad thing is that people crowd around, and that's when the teacher takes it. In history class, I was writing down an assignment when the teacher took it. I put it in the case and gave it to her, and she threw it across the room onto the table!! I was gonna bitchslap her! I did yell at her, but she said I deserved it (that bitch). Now the screen has 2 moderate scratches! Both on the lower right part. They're deep, you can feel them with the stylus, and they distort the color. On white, the 2 lines appear bright red, and are VERY obvious. Is there a way to get rid of scratches? I thought I was going to die when I first saw the scratches. I even had to restrain from crying. A tear or 2 did come out though. Good thing I put on a silicon coding on the screen, otherwise it would have been worse. This happened about 2 weeks ago, and I'm trying to live with it. Is there a way to reduce the scratches?? That stupid teacher said "That's what you get for showing that sh*t off!" I think she's jealous. Well, I mainly use it for the Calender. I never used Contacts though. I use Word, Excel, and Media Player for MP3s. And of course, games!  
Warren
pm Insider

Postby SonicSilicon » Mar 31, 2001 @ 11:16pm

And you want Wolfenstein ported? Your really asking for it, Warren.<br><br>I have used mine in class, mostly to take a note or make n appointment. Contacts seem almost useless, but we're geeks - we're not supposed to have that many contacts. I have shown it off in class (guess that means I confabulated before), but only by request and before or after class (I'm in college, so there's no "study" anymore.) Me and my firends in High School would've gone insane coding for it. I feel like I was born at an odd time in computing history, heck, history in general.<br><br>Anyways, other than for showing off, what have any of you done with your PocketPC?
SonicSilicon
pm Member

Postby Warren » Apr 1, 2001 @ 12:45am

I play games during break time (15 minutes a day). I'm in High School for your information. Teachers don't really take my PPC away anymore because they're used to it. We're not geeks for using PPCs. The term geek and nerd in my opinion are obsolete, because as Bill Gates said "Don't make fun of a geek, because someday you'll be working for one." I mean, I'm gonna learn C++, is there anymore of a way to be a geek?? As for anything else besides showing off, games, calender, and music, there is nothing else I use daily. Even on the bus, when I'm listening to music, I tilt the screen toward the person sitting next to me to show off.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Apr 1, 2001 @ 9:47am

It's a good thing I know how to play the game. I'm every teacher's "pet" from day one.
Moose or Chuck

Postby Jaybot » Apr 1, 2001 @ 9:02pm

Actually, since I got Fitaly, I do use it to take notes during lectures, since I'm actually faster at tapping in information (at about 50wpm) than I am at typing or writing stuff down now.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Warren » Apr 2, 2001 @ 2:41pm

I discovered that I'm faster at "tapping" to type in letters instead of typing with a keyboard, or handwriting recognition. But, I almost ALWAYS use handwriting recognition, to show it of, and how you don't have to know the Palm graffiti language.
Warren
pm Insider

Postby Jaybot » Apr 2, 2001 @ 2:59pm

Handwriting recognition doesn't work for me at all... my handwriting is too messy. something like "Hello, how are you today?" would end up like this: "4x210/ pl4x 8rt y9p xufp8!'z"  So I don't use it... it's too embarrasing.
-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Next

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions