This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

When's it coming out ???

When's it coming out ???

Postby MUmbo jUmbO » Feb 21, 2002 @ 11:34pm

Is it true that this project is currently on hold due to legal issues associated with ROB's port of DoomLegacy. If so that really sucks as that means that one ports legal problems has affected not one, but two or even three ports (if that's why PQ is on hold, I'm not sure). Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming ROB or Dan for not releasing them. It's just a shame when you consider that commercial companies aren't releasing anything that good for Pocket PC at the moment (No offence intended towards Snails, I've played the demo and although it's not my type of game it's got colourful graphics and alright sounds).
Anyway that's my piece...
"Through hardships untold and dangers unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the goblin city to take back the child that you have stolen"
Sarah, Labyrinth
MUmbo jUmbO
pm Member

Postby NYIllustrator » Feb 22, 2002 @ 4:58am

yeah what is going on with this game? Dan hasnt even bothered to reply to any of the posts on here asking for the status.

NYIllustrator
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2002 @ 6:33pm

Several reasons I haven't released a new version of PWolf:

Other projects have taken precedence. That is the main reason.

id Software has yet to step in and provide any clarification regarding issues that do technically affect Pocket Wolf. Seeing that they have no interest in reining in one of their licensees that is obviously way out of line, or even replying to emails, I am in no hurry to continue providing free development and support for their software. I will simply say that any efforts I put into ports of their software is solely for the benefit of the Pocket PC community, and not id Software.

I will not release the source code (in the near future) because I am not legally obligated to do so (the Wolfenstein source is not GPLed). I absolutely will not provide source code that I have worked on extensively so it may be sucked up by some licensee so they can turn around and sell it.

I do plan on releasing additional versions of Pocket Wolf to support the other game levels, plus add sound support. It is a great game and is perfectly suited for the Pocket PC. I am simply at a critical stage with other projects like DEXplor, and I must give them priority at this time.

Dan East
Last edited by Dan East on Feb 22, 2002 @ 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby NYIllustrator » Feb 22, 2002 @ 6:35pm

thanks for posting dan, good to know the project is still alive at least.

NYIllustrator
pm Insider

Postby Dan East » Feb 22, 2002 @ 6:53pm

I'm going to expand a little bit regarding not releasing the source code.

Each of the id Software titles, like Wolfenstein 3D, is divided into two entities; the source code and the game data. The source code is of course used to create the program or engine that actually runs on the target machine. The game data contains all of the images, sounds, levels, etc that make up the actual game. id Software releases the source code to their games after its been out for a few years. People like me then rush in to modify the source to support new platforms, providing id Software with a free route to highly ubiquitous software. The game data that comprises the registered, full game is still copyright, and may not be distributed. Thus id Software, or any of their licensees, can legally take all of the work done by all other developers to the source code, and combine it with their full game data, which they have exclusive rights to, and sell it. Obviously without the work done to the source code that would not be possible, because the game data is absolutely worthless without an engine on which to run. You can see the potential value of the modified source code - but only to id Software or whoever they deem worthy of a license agreement.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Waiting patiently for Sound

Postby bobajames1 » Mar 3, 2002 @ 8:59pm

Thanks Dan for the update. I for one purchased DEXplor after being made aware of it via Pocketwolf. Sound is crucial to the game of wolfenstein and hope now that you just released version 1.2 of DEXplor, you will have some time to spend on Pocketwolf.

Bob James
bobajames1

Return to Pocket Wolf

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this port by Dan East of the original Wolf game.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge

Forum permissions