This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Make custom levels NOW :-)

possible freeze fix

Postby trauts » Apr 7, 2002 @ 11:03pm

I figured out (with the help of Peter Balogh) that my color for the transparency was one digit off in the #FF00FF transparency color. Once I fixed that, the program doesn't crash anymore.
trauts
pm Member

Postby Jaybot » Apr 9, 2002 @ 6:31am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Jaybot » Apr 9, 2002 @ 6:38am

-------
|\\ //|
-- ^ --
|||
Jaybot
pm Insider

Postby Village_Ideot » Apr 10, 2002 @ 1:40am

Umm I made a custom level based on Super Mario brothers...

i have music to go with it also...who should i send this to to get the sound compressed for snails...

and would pm host it or maybe the snails site?

it is pretty good in my opinion...(but that is just me...)

and i dont have snails :( so feedback would be appriciated once it is up (hopefully it will be)
Village_Ideot
pm Member

Postby randall » Apr 10, 2002 @ 1:56am

Jason is the audio guy. Its not a compression thing- its real knowledge of music, digital tools and formats. Unless you are capable of writing an XM file, its doubtful he will attempt to convert it (or possibly re-write it) to a suitable format.

I don't think its PM responsibilty to maintain something like this. So Snails will have to design a page for custom levels, unless you have a site you can post it temporarily.

Anyway, you can send the files to:
randall@devastation3.com
jaybot7@runbox.com
peter.balogh@syntactsoft.com

any one of those should work.
randall
pm Insider

Postby chriva404 » Apr 11, 2002 @ 8:04pm

do you mean xmod ?....use "mad tracker"
sad IPAQ les teenager
chriva404
pm Member

Postby randall » Apr 12, 2002 @ 12:37am

randall
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Apr 12, 2002 @ 12:50am

Paul
pm Insider

Postby » Apr 12, 2002 @ 2:08am

Xen Games

Postby sponge » Apr 12, 2002 @ 3:36am

holy internets batman.
sponge
Not sponge

Postby randall » Apr 12, 2002 @ 6:06am

randall
pm Insider

Postby » Apr 12, 2002 @ 8:59am

Ok, no offence but that sounds incredibly painful, not to mention stupid! Please forgive me if he seriously did use notepad to compose XM music, but XM files are music files that only a lunatic would attempt to create using Notepad, especially seeing as many XM-creating packages are free, including the well-respected Modplug Tracker!! It'd take hours even just to create a simple 10-note scale with a piano instrument otherwise!

Firstly, XM files contain wave samples of all the instruments used, which are transposed based on the pitch of the note. I think it'd probably be extremely difficult to enter even one sample into an XM, just by working out in your head & typing in each character of a raw sample file of even something short and simple like a 'closed hi-hat' cymbal instrument. Even if somebody managed to somehow do that for each of the samples used in the music, you'd then have the problems of entering the notes for each track in a multi-track composition, considering that many XMs have over 10 tracks per pattern, and also have many patterns. Oh, and none of this data is stored as normal text characters, so you couldn't just enter 'A#' or 'C' either. Also not forgetting the lengths of notes, effects, previews, realtime waveform deforming, etc etc... :lol:

I could go on, but i'd get bored... Anyway, my true passion in life is music (playing, composing, Dj-ing etc) and i've written MOD-based music for at least 8 years, but i've NEVER heard of anyone using a text editor to write their MODs, not even in the days of C64's or Amiga's! Judging by Jaybot's work, he is a professional and i doubt he'd use that method when the majority of excellent XM composition programs are freely available! And if he really did use notepad, well.... I'm shocked Snails even came out this century! I just really hope that Jaybot is experienced enough to have known to use a tracker or else maybe he isn't the professional i thought he was... :wink:
Xen Games

topic change, anybody

Postby ingallsj » Apr 12, 2002 @ 7:17pm

"I am not the one to judge my personality, just the one to make it."
ingallsj
pm Member

Postby randall » Apr 12, 2002 @ 11:38pm

Okay, T1 wins the prize for making me laugh the hardest today. It wasn't the content of what he said, because that is entirely accurate as far as I know.

I was kidding about the notepad thingie, and T1 went into a long explanation why it was dumb to use it.

lol... sorry about that, I just thought it sounded so rediculous.
randall
pm Insider

Postby randall » Apr 12, 2002 @ 11:50pm

Back on topic: Ideots level is pretty interesting.
It wasn't compatible and required alot of tweaking by Jaybot to get it running. Unfortunately, due to its licensed content, we can't post it to our site(s).

So an alternative is in order.

I'd hate to see an overload of these types of levels, but thanks to Ideot for bringing us old content in a new way.
randall
pm Insider

PreviousNext

Return to Snails

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this game based on the popular computer game "Worms".

Moderators:

sponge, Jaybot, hockeydude, Peter Balogh

Forum permissions