This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Deleted Files

Deleted Files

Postby AlphaWolf » May 20, 2002 @ 5:24pm

AlphaWolf
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 20, 2002 @ 5:44pm

Well, it would be possible to restore a file on a Storage Card if you have an adaptor for your PC. You should then be able to use PC tools of the types you mentioned against the storage card. The chance of restoring a deleted file is extremely good, if you haven't placed additional files on the card after the delete. Writing to existing files on the card could also destroy the deleted file if the files being written to grew in size.

Regarding deleted files on your Pocket PC's internal memory; a Pocket PC program would have to be written to attempt such a recovery. I don't know that the OS would allow low-level access to that memory as is possible with Storage Cards, because that storage memory is very "abnormal". First off, all files stored directly in your Pocket PC RAM are compressed by the OS. So right there is the first major problem. The second is that the RAM is shared between Storage Memory / Program Memory, so I don't know how those dynamics would affect such a recovery. The more I think about it, I doubt the internal Storage Area even uses a standard File System like FAT. Some sort of automatic defragmentation would have to occur on the fly, so all the files are continuous in RAM so the rest of the RAM can be used for Program Memory. So I said all that to say that I really doubt any tool could even be written to recover deleted files from internal Storage Ram.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby AlphaWolf » May 21, 2002 @ 4:59am

Tried to use Norton Utility while I was hooked up to my PPC, but no luck. NU doesn't recognize the PPC with the undelete module (it only "sees" my PC drives but not my Casio). Oh well. Thanks for the input anyway.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf
pm Member

Postby Dan East » May 21, 2002 @ 5:15am

Right, for your Storage Card I was talking about a Compact Flash Reader for your PC (you can get them for less than $30 at Wal Mart). The reader hooks up to your PC and acts just like any other drive on your PC. You could then insert any CF card you wanted to restore files / format / defragment / scandisk in your card reader.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Guest » May 30, 2004 @ 10:13pm

i need help/advice ASAP
i deleted 10.3GB of Music from My hard drive and it said, its too big for the recycle bin, so it said do you want to delete this, i accepted, ( but all this was by accident, becoz the program i was running had about 7 copy's of the files i was deleting so i thought deleting 6 and leaving one, would leave me with the origionals) it turns out, all the 10GB's have beendelted, i havent restarted my pc since, is there a way of retreiving those 10 GB's? a propgram or sumthing? msg me back ASAP Rokanox@hotmail.com :(

Deleted Music

Postby Rokanox » Nov 4, 2004 @ 10:44am

Rokanox

Return to DEXplor

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss this new File Management app by Dan East.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge

Forum permissions