This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Business opportunities

Business opportunities

Postby ChezDoodles » May 9, 2002 @ 6:08pm

ChezDoodles
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » May 10, 2002 @ 10:16am

ChezDoodles,

Before I answer your questions, three remarks:
- First of all, thanks for posting the questions. It's hard for me to determine what people find confusing, and I'm quite willing to clarify things.
- Second, the PocketMatrix / Overloaded game plan is not primarily intended for professionals, but rather for students / talented amateurs. I found it to be extremely hard to earn a buck with game coding for PPC, but I like doing it nevertheless. So I hope this program will help people like me to do what they like and still earn a buck. I'm not a business guy myself, I like coding. And I like the community at PocketMatrix, so I needed a good excuse to spend more time here talking about the topic I love. :)
- Third, we are not trying to rip anyone off. We have some safety measures to ensure that a) we don't get a huge pile of software that we can't possibly process and b) people don't run away with our library and make money without us. :)

That being said, on to your questions:
- The developer indeed gets a basic game framework to work upon.
- If we don't accept the software and even modifications won't help, you're free to take out the Overloaded library and replace it by EasyCE 2.0, wich is free software. You'll have to replace some code by your own, and this will get worse once the library expands. But by that time, we'll have had a chance to prove ourselves and you can ask people about their experiences. I believe the existence of EasyCE2.0 is (for now) enough safety for developers to take the risk.
- IF you accept the $1000 cheque, you effectively worked for us. We get the game. For some, this may be a low salary, for others, it's a great salary, and for some, it's a great chance to get a published title under their belt and get paid for it in the process. If you want to keep the rights, don't take the cheque and go for revenue shares instead (more about that later).
- IP: See previous question. $1000 = transfer rights.
- Sources: See previous question.
- Revenue sharing: We have a 50/50 policy when an author adapts his game to work with our GPRS philosophy. With the $500 cheque, this would be more like 70/30.
- Your question about auditing: I don't understand this one, can you clarify?
- Dutch law will be applicable, indeed.

Feel free to ask for additional clarification. I'm not going to hide anything, I promise. There's nothing to hide IMHO, I believe we have a good plan. :)

About Overloaded in general: Can't tell you much more, we'll go public by the end of the month. The press release starts with some generic stuff about us, more info will be available later. One thing about the payments: That have been taken care of. We have powerful friends. :)

- Jacco.
Give me some good data and
I will give you the world
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby helloworld » May 12, 2002 @ 7:33pm

RE: Your question about auditing: I don't understand this one, can you clarify?

I believe he is refering to an independent accountant who examines your financial transactions on a periodic basis to insure things are legit. I'm no expert but I'm sure this is a requirement for all public companies. Private is probably a different matter.
helloworld

Auditing

Postby ChezDoodles » May 12, 2002 @ 9:09pm

ChezDoodles
pm Insider

Postby ChezDoodles » May 12, 2002 @ 9:21pm

ChezDoodles
pm Insider

Postby ChezDoodles » May 12, 2002 @ 9:54pm

ChezDoodles
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » May 13, 2002 @ 8:52am

Phantom
pm Insider

Postby randall » May 22, 2002 @ 12:53pm

randall
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » May 22, 2002 @ 3:37pm

OK, now I understand the problem. :) I have looked this up in one of our contracts with one of our 'content providers'. Have a look:

"Net revenue is defined as the consumer price per played game minus the costs for collecting this fee, for example: consumer price is 45 Eurocent per played game minus 15 Eurocent for the Payment Service Provider, leaves 30 Eurocent to share between Content Provider and the Company."

I hope this clarifies things.
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby randall » May 23, 2002 @ 12:17am

randall
pm Insider

Return to Phantom's Forum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss any of Phantom's projects here (Operation Nutcracker, etc.)

Moderators:

sponge, RICoder, Phantom

Forum permissions