This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Is 3000+ sprites normal? :)

Is 3000+ sprites normal? :)

Postby Phantom » Sep 8, 2001 @ 12:47pm

SpritesUnlimited displays more than 3000 animated sprites. Doesn't anyone wonder how I did that? :) I can bumb up this figure to 30.000 if you wish, the app can easily handle that without dropping below the 50fps mark. :)
Give me some good data and
I will give you the world
Phantom
pm Insider

Re: Is 3000+ sprites normal? :)

Postby daburnd » Sep 8, 2001 @ 1:01pm

i already know :)
daburnd

Postby Digby » Sep 8, 2001 @ 2:22pm

The demo is quite nice and I encourage all to try it out.  <br><br>I'll make a wild guess and say 'compiled sprites?'
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » Sep 8, 2001 @ 2:37pm

Nope. Sorry.
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby Moose or Chuck » Sep 8, 2001 @ 3:01pm

I want to know, tell me? Did you reinvent GAPI?
Moose or Chuck

Postby Dan East » Sep 9, 2001 @ 1:00am

I know how you did it! Floating point math and 64 bit integer operations, using BitBlt to output to a regular window. ;D<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Matt Keys » Sep 9, 2001 @ 4:11am

Darn, dan answered right before I was going to!<br>~
Matt Keys
Co-Founder
PocketMatrix.com
Matt Keys
Site Co-Founder

Postby Avatar » Sep 9, 2001 @ 4:36am

Just looked @ some of your tutorials Jacco and I knew I had to write a personal thank you. Some very good info there. Can't wait for tutorial 6. Perhaps sometime in the near future you can cover alpha-blending in detail? It's the mystery that I've been trying to find an answer to (in form of understandable code ;) on this board for quite some time.<br><br>BTW, let me take a guess @ the 3000 sprite puzzle: sprite routines w/ ARM asm?
pm Member

Postby Phantom » Sep 9, 2001 @ 5:37am

Nope, wrong again. :) I'll try to write the tutorial on Monday. Apparently no one is going to guess how this works. :) You'll hate me so much once I tell you how it's done.
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby suchiaruzu » Sep 9, 2001 @ 11:35am

You're Jimmy and you have invented an app that overclocks the processor to 500 mhz - or makes it work like a geforce
<div align="center">Image<br></div>
suchiaruzu
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » Sep 9, 2001 @ 11:54am

Hi,<br><br>OK, I'll put you guys out of your misery. :)<br>Here's the trick: Basically, you're watching a flipbook with eight pages. Each page is initially empty, but I use the first 8 frames to draw one sprite on each of them, each time on a slightly different position. Flipping these 8 pages makes the 'sprite' move, without the need to actually draw the thing. When I run out of my 8 pages, I return to page one. This page contains already one sprite, at it's initial position. Now I draw a second sprite. During frame 10 - 16 I add a sprite to page 2 - 8, so that each page contains two srpites, and flipping these pages makes it look like I'm now moving two sprites.<br><br>I hope you get the idea by now. In sprites unlimited, sprites are drawn along a fixed trajectory (wave spiral (circle with slowly decreasing radius, radius is multiplied by a sine to get the waves)) and a second plain spiral path. That's all.<br><br>So, sorry Carp, you can't use this in Argentum. It's just a trick.<br><br>Anyway. I'll try to explain it better in tutorial six. :)<br><br>Have a nice weekend,<br><br>- Jacco.<br>
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby Digby » Sep 9, 2001 @ 3:17pm

Ah trickery!  The man is a witch!  Grab the torches!  Who's with me??? :)<br><br>I managed to get a bit over 1500 alpha blended sprites per frame at 50hz using C code on my iPaq.  My test sprite was a anti-aliased filled circle that fit inside an 8x8 pixel rectangle (r = 4 pixels).  I think your demo used something similar but it was hard to tell since I couldn't stop the animation in your demo.  This number also includes having to copy a 240x320 backbuffer to the front buffer each frame, but there's nothing else going on (no positioning logic) - just blits and flips.<br><br>Still, 1500 per frame is pretty good for a handheld device and would make a nice particle animation demo.  If you don't need alpha blending the number jumps to 3800 at 50hz.  Now THAT is sassy.<br><br>I also made an attempt at hand-coding a compiled sprite, but since the majority of pixels are opaque within the 8x8 rect, there wasn't a perf win.<br><br>BTW, the Playstation 2 claims 18.75 million 8x8 pixel sprites per second.  That's 100 times what I'm getting on my iPaq.<br><br><br><br>
Digby
pm Insider

Postby Paul » Sep 9, 2001 @ 3:23pm

wait a minute, you're saying the playstation can only show 100x the number of 8x8 sprites an ipaq can?! hahaha
Paul
pm Insider

Postby Phantom » Sep 9, 2001 @ 3:40pm

1500 alpha blended sprites at 50 fps is very good! Could you post a demo? It might be cool to model a milkyway spiral with that. :)<br><br>BTW, now that every PPC will have an ARM in the near future, it's time we dive in some serious ASM people... :) I'm going to do GBA coding for my boss, so I'll build some ARM knowledge while I'm at the office. Lucky me.
Phantom
pm Insider

Postby Avatar » Sep 9, 2001 @ 6:23pm

Heh, this sucks. We just started covering MIPS assembley in one of the courses in my University. Why couldn't it be ARM, dammit? ;)
pm Member

Next

Return to Phantom's Forum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss any of Phantom's projects here (Operation Nutcracker, etc.)

Moderators:

sponge, RICoder, Phantom

Forum permissions