This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Library architecture and implementation

Library architecture and implementation

Postby s9801758 » May 26, 2002 @ 12:26pm

Hello people,

here at Overloaded we are in a difficult situation. At one side we need to make deadlines and finish stuff, on the other side we want to create the best PocketPC library out there. This results in sacrifices in both design and code-quality, simply because we don't have time.

Now that I've finished a game I've been working on, Jacco is giving me a bit of time to do some cleanups on the libraries.

First of all I am going to address the memory leaks (pun intended). I've already found a few using a heap-agent, but I'll be crushing the rest over this weekend. After that I'm going to search for hardcoded stuff and make it more flexible (i.e. the IniFile implementation).

Once that is done, I'll be needing your help to work on three things....

1. Change the FrameGame statemachine mechanism to be more flexible.

2. Think about and discuss the current instantiation and location mechanism of DLLs, Assets, interfaces, etc.

3. Do a major revision of all interfaces.

I'll be working on a little document with some proposals the next few hours, and post a link to it in here once it's done. In the meanwhile please let me know any suggestions and critics from your side. I'm sure a lot is wrong with the curent libraries, but we need feedback from you.

Post here, discuss on ICQ (19637432) or MSN (s9801758@hotmail.com), or email on J.Suter@student.utwente.nl

I also would like to hear whether or not major interface revisions/cleanups would complicate your own current development process. For example, if we would change the FrameGame mechanism, you might have to rewrite some of your own code, right? What's your take on this, considering it would result in a more flexible and elegant system in the future?

Thanks,

Jape
s9801758
pm Member

Postby D » May 26, 2002 @ 8:35pm

D
pm Member

Correct

Postby s9801758 » May 26, 2002 @ 9:20pm

The surface and sprite interfaces are the most stable at the moment. That is because these come straight out of EasyCE, so they are tried and tested.

I'm trying to keep changes to a minimum, but in my opinion we shouldn't be afraid to refactor (i.e. change old code to reflect changes in interfaces) just because it takes some time. My experiences are that it always pays off in the future.

Then again, I'll try to make any changes or transitions as easy as possible, and help where possible.

Cheers,

Jape
s9801758
pm Member

Return to Phantom's Forum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss any of Phantom's projects here (Operation Nutcracker, etc.)

Moderators:

sponge, RICoder, Phantom

Forum permissions