This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

Tile/texture/sprite size

Tile/texture/sprite size

Postby heartbreak » Jun 5, 2002 @ 3:21am

Since the mobile games we're going to make with the Overloaded libraries apparently have to download any tile or sprite graphic files before each play, what is the practical maximum total size of these graphics (before/after gzipping?)?

JJR2
heartbreak
pm Member

Postby Phantom » Jun 5, 2002 @ 9:13am

Heartbreak dude,

No, this is not the case. Games are downloaded once, although we try to separate some content: In the case of a puzzlegame for example, we download the latest puzzle for each session. That should be less than 1kb usually, so the player shouldn't notice it.

Maybe I mentioned 'themes': We plan to make games skinnable for special occasions. For example, when there are elections it would be cool if a shoot 'm up has a political theme. :) Such a theme would not be downloaded for each play, instead we would put a notice on the title screen 'theme avaialable - click here to download'.

Size is really not very important right now btw since we are not yet sending apps directly from a website to the PPC. Every app needs to be downloaded using a desktop PC. In the near future however our PPC website will be ready for launch, and on that site, we want pure PPC installers that don't require intervenence of a desktop machine.

- Jacco.
Give me some good data and
I will give you the world
Phantom
pm Insider

?

Postby Guest » Jun 5, 2002 @ 3:54pm

Ok, next question---how much memory can be allocated on the typical ppc for the graphics? How big can the individual tiles be?
Are there any good references to the architecture of these things (Memory maps, video, etc.)?

Postby Phantom » Jun 5, 2002 @ 4:31pm

Give me some good data and
I will give you the world
Phantom
pm Insider

Return to Phantom's Forum

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss any of Phantom's projects here (Operation Nutcracker, etc.)

Moderators:

sponge, RICoder, Phantom

Forum permissions