This site is no longer active and is available for archival purposes only. Registration and login is disabled.

>>Install Notes & FAQ<<

>>Install Notes & FAQ<<

Postby Dan East » Feb 5, 2001 @ 7:01pm

FAQ compiled by 999:

With the old Forum going down, and losing all those valuable posts, I've decided to write a short run through on the Install Process and Answer a few common questions.

Installation
First let's start with the install. Let's assume you have just downloaded the PocketQuake.zip and pak0.pak.zip files to your desktop.

1- Unzip the PocketQuake.zip and pak0.pak.zip files. The following should be on your desktop after extraction: PocketQuake.exe, autoexec.cfg, Readme.txt and pak0.pak.gz.

2- With your Pocket PC Docked, open your ActiveSync window on your Desktop PC and click the "Explore" Button. We will use this File Browsing method for this FAQ. Double Click the "My Pocket PC" icon to browse to your Pocket PC's main "/" directory.

3- Check if you have the gx.dll file in your Windows Directory on your Pocket PC. This Game API is required in order for Quake to run. If you don't have this file on your Pocket PC, then copy it onto your device from the Pocket Quake zip file. Make sure to place it in your /windows/ folder on your Pocket PC.

4- Place the Quake EXE anywhere on your Pocket PC. You may want put it somewhere you can access it easily without using a filewbrowser to reach it. RAM is too precious to waste for some users.

5- Now you have two choices here, either to keep the Quake game files on your Pocket PC, or on a Storage Card. If you opt to keep the files on your Pocket PC, create a folder called "quake" in the Main "/" Directory. After you have created your "quake" folder, browse inside that folder, and create yet another folder called "id1" . Now browse into that folder and place your pak0.pak.gz and autoexec.cfg files. The path should look as follows "quake/id1/" .

If you choose to go with a Storage Card, make described folders above in your Storage Card's main directory. The path should look as follows "Storage Card/quake/id1" .

6- Make sure you have at least 7 megs of Program RAM free in your Pocket PC's Memory Control panel. I keep 10 just for the heck of it.

7- Launch PocketQuake. Enjoy.

Default Controls (iPaq specific):
Left= Strafe Left
Right= Srafe Right
Up= Walk Forward
Down= Back Pedal
Calendar= Save Game
Contacts= Weapon Change
Q= Weapon Change
Arrow= Load Game
Action= Attack
Record= Quit

Skin (All Pocket PCs, Portrait Mode):
Tap any of the weapons on the new skin to select it. Tap the Face Icon for Quad Damage, and the Golden Q for All Weapons and Ammo.

The center Area is where you click to engage Mlook. Like a Touchpad on a Laptop, you Tap and drag to look around. For 360's you may need to pick up the Stylus tap in the center area and resume sliding. This may be addressed in an update depending on feedback. Currently the controls are inversed for Mlook, you may change this in the options menu, Or, delete its entry in the autoexec.cfg file with notepad.

Menu Button: This is essentially the ESC key.

Console Button (bottom right key): This is partially covered up, however upon pressing it brings up the console and soft keyboard.

A/B Key: Currently, both of these are mapped to the same alias- Pressing and holding it switches to the Thunderbolt, releasing it switches back to the Rocket Launcher, or highest weapon you have. This is great for when you have Quad Damage and are walking down a tight hallway. These Keys can also be rebound in the Autoexec of options menu.

Common Questions
Q. "I get an error called: W_LoadWadFile: couldn't load gfx.wad..."
A. Check to see that you have placed your pak0.pak.gz file in the correct location. Take a look at #5 in the install notes. Also, make sure that you have unzipped your pak0.pak.zip file. The name should look exactly like this after "pak0.pak.gz" once extracted. Note that the File Explorer on your desktop machine may be configured to "Hide Known File Extensions". Thus the .zip may be there but you can't see it. Same with your Pocket PC device. The File Explorer on it will always hide the .zip extension. Also make sure you did not create the \quake\id1 directory inside of \My Documents\. When you start browsing your Pocket PC from your PC, it will default to \My Documents\. You need to open up "My Pocket PC" to access the root \ directory.

Q. "It says I need a Registered version to play..."
A. If you are trying to play something other than ID Software's original, official pak files, then see "CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL..." below. "Otherwise this error indicates that the pak file is corrupted or truncated. "Try extracting your pak file from the Zip file again, or redownload the file and move it back onto your Pocket PC or Storage Card.. So far this has been the most easy and best solution. "

Q. "Can I change the controls or edit the onscreen buttons?"
A. Yes. You can change the game controls to a degree in the Options Menu. To change the keymaps on the skin area, edit the Autoexec.cfg file with Notepad. Look to any Quake Console Command website for info on additional bidings and aliases.

Q. "Can you send me -fill in blank-..." and "I'm having problems with -fill in the blank-..."
A. Plain and simple folks we can't and will not distribute registered Pak files, or offer tech support via Email. Please use the boards here to post your questions. Feel free to browse the posts, more often than not, you can find answers to your questions.

Q. "Can I help?
A. Yes! By posting your feedback you are continually helping the evolution of this port. On the previous board, someone was kind enough to post a solution to a bottleneck of sorts. Dan has checked into it, and verified a speedup if he can pull it off. This wouldn't have happend if it weren't for the posts! Keep it up!

Q. "CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS THE STORY WITH HAVING TO REGISTER TO PLAY OTHER .PAK FILES"
A. Yikes, you're hurting my ears! Okay, Firstly, you Can play the Registered Quake, provided you have the original pak1.pak file. You can move this file to your ../id1/ folder along with your other pak file. It's 33 megs, so it's recommended you Gzip it. You can to gzip it on your PC. Or you can use the registered version of to compress or decompress with gZip or Zip right on your Pocket PC. You will then be able to play modified pak files with Pocket Quake.
Last edited by Dan East on Apr 23, 2002 @ 4:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dan East
Site Admin

Re: >>PocketQuake Install Notes & FAQ<<

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 5, 2001 @ 7:12pm

I think it's because your a moderator... (delete post thing..).<br><br>Anyways... it looks like you beat me to fixing your post with the forum code instead of normal html.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris Edwards » Feb 5, 2001 @ 7:17pm

Here is a link to the for pocketquake.
Chris Edwards
Founder
Chris Edwards
Site Co-Founder

Postby badkapp » Feb 8, 2001 @ 8:27am

...can´t get those "gx.dll" to my windows folder ...erverytime im move to my documents directory (on PC) and active sync is doing its job i cant see it on my ipaq ...if i rename it "gx.dll_" an do the sync procedure again i see it ...i hardly can see any *.dll file om my ipaq !<br>...whats wrong ?
badkapp

Postby Dan East » Feb 8, 2001 @ 9:53am

Microsoft's very weak and very lame Pocket PC file "Explorer" hides files with the dll extension.  So it's there, you just can't see it.

Try using a file explorer like , which is shareware.

Dan East
Last edited by Dan East on Apr 23, 2002 @ 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby 999 » Feb 23, 2001 @ 5:47pm

Bump for the Casio Invasion ;)
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Mar 30, 2001 @ 7:20am

Bump for the Jornada Invasion. :D It seems the html version of the FAQ has disappeared!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Mar 31, 2001 @ 10:26am

Bump. It's getting as bad as BrightHand around here. If a thread doesn't have a response posted to it in 24 hours it's pushed back to the second page!<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby 999 » May 8, 2001 @ 5:40pm

Please refrain from Off Topic posts in this thread.<br><br>Admin<br><br><br>[have deleted all off topic posts in  this tread - chris]<br><br><br>Last modification: Chris Edwards - 05/08/01 at 14:40:09
pm Member

Postby lufc_ » Jun 25, 2001 @ 1:46pm

I've followed all the installation instructions to the letter and once opening Pocket Quake all my PPC will do is scroll up and down the Main Index (making nice noises along the way).<br>What have I done wrong?<br>How can I play the flipping games?<br>PPC = CasioE125<br><br>Pls help
lufc_
pm Member

Postby Dan East » Jun 25, 2001 @ 2:12pm

Press your Pocket PC's action button to select a menu option. For Casios and HPs you press straight in on the up/down wheel on the left side of the device.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Jun 25, 2001 @ 5:59pm

Two more questions.<br>I can now access PQuake, however it automatically defaults to landscape, when I try to reset to portrait I cannot find a way to access "ESC". How do I do this?<br><br>Secondly, how can I access the console in landscape?<br><br>These may be nieve questions, but then as a first timer you must make allowances.<br><br>thanks in anticipation<br><br>Mark
Mark

Postby Dan East » Jul 12, 2001 @ 12:37pm

The togglemenu command must be bound to the "special" hardware button for your type of device. See the ReadMe.txt file for details.<br><br>You can set the video mode that Pocket Quake starts in by changing the vid_mode variable in your autoexec.cfg file. Again, see the ReadMe.txt file for the various video modes for your type of device.<br><br>The console cannot be accessed in landscape mode at this time. You must switch to Portrait mode to access the console, because the SIP cannot be used in landscape mode.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Jul 12, 2001 @ 12:39pm

Bump for the HP 720 invasion. :)<br><br>Several older bumps, off-topic posts, and questions / answers that no longer apply to the latest version of Pocket Quake have been deleted.<br><br>Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Postby Dan East » Apr 23, 2002 @ 4:39pm

FAQ freshened up to reflect changed filenames (pak0.pak.gz.zip), etc.

Dan East
Dan East
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pocket Quake 1 and 2

Sort

Forum Description

Discuss Pocket Quake 1 and 2 by Dan East

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, James S

Forum permissions