Site Login
Site Search
Forums
Advertisement
Welcome to PocketMatrix. PocketMatrix is dedicated to providing the best online community for mobile device developers and enthusiests. What's new?

Help uninstalling program

Help uninstalling program

Postby RedruM » May 11, 2005 @ 12:24pm

Ok I installed a program that is supposed to remap the hardware buttons so they are multi functional and can lanch 3 programs per button, while it worked and was very useful. I wanted to uninstall it only to find that the .exe file could not be deleted and is running in the background.

I renamed it and reset, and all my hardware buttons look for that program or a related one whenever pushed, and become totally useless. So I renamed the .exe back and it works as it did before, I'm assuming I need to get in the registry to fix this and fully uninstall the program but I'm not sure how to approach it, perhaps if there is a way to restore the default HWbutton assignments.

I'm using an axim X5, any suggestions welcome.
RedruM
pm Member

Postby jubjub64 » May 11, 2005 @ 4:18pm

You could backup PIM data and then hard reset.
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
jubjub64
pm Member

Re: Help uninstalling program

Postby Menneisyys » May 11, 2005 @ 6:45pm

RedruM wrote:Ok I installed a program that is supposed to remap the hardware buttons so they are multi functional and can lanch 3 programs per button, while it worked and was very useful. I wanted to uninstall it only to find that the .exe file could not be deleted and is running in the background.

I renamed it and reset, and all my hardware buttons look for that program or a related one whenever pushed, and become totally useless. So I renamed the .exe back and it works as it did before, I'm assuming I need to get in the registry to fix this and fully uninstall the program but I'm not sure how to approach it, perhaps if there is a way to restore the default HWbutton assignments.

I'm using an axim X5, any suggestions welcome.

1. Disable and delete your button app.

2. reset your button configuration (if the Buttons applet indeed doesn't work) right in the Registry.

3, read http://www.pocketmatrix.com/forums/view ... hp?t=21386 on the secrets of the hw button-related part of Registry.

BTW, did you try running Settings/Buttons?
Menneisyys
pm Member

Postby RedruM » May 11, 2005 @ 10:22pm

Thanks, that was a very informative post you wrote Menneisyys, so I managed to fix my buttons back to its default self thanks to you, but since I'm messing around with the registry already, I thought I might as well fix a couple of other nagging problems, whenever I reset on booting I get 3 error messages saying it cant find 3 programs that I've uninstalled, third one being the button launching program I just deleted, if you can direct me to where I can fix/delete the strings/keys trying to load these shady programs I would (again) be grateful. :)
RedruM
pm Member

Postby Menneisyys » May 12, 2005 @ 7:55am

RedruM wrote:Thanks, that was a very informative post you wrote Menneisyys, so I managed to fix my buttons back to its default self thanks to you, but since I'm messing around with the registry already, I thought I might as well fix a couple of other nagging problems, whenever I reset on booting I get 3 error messages saying it cant find 3 programs that I've uninstalled, third one being the button launching program I just deleted, if you can direct me to where I can fix/delete the strings/keys trying to load these shady programs I would (again) be grateful. :)

That's also a very common problem with Pocket PC's.

First, look into \Windows\Startup. Make sure everything has been removed from there that is non-standard. Standard files under WM2003, on a non-BT-enabled device (on a device with BT, a BTTrayCE.lnk is also here; with Wi-Fi enabled devices, another Wi-Fi related one; on old iPAQ devices, a file named DM_K.exe, which senses the attached sleeves etc), are as follows:

CommLoader.exe
poutlook.lnk

If you still have PPC2k2, then, there may be some other files as well.

(Incidentally, on what in \Startup can be found, you may want to read http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/ ... hp?t=25522 , http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/ ... hp?t=33770 and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/ ... hp?t=21182 ).

There may be some 1 or 2 additional files here. Just tell us their names so that we can decide whether they may be removed.

Second, with a registry editor, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]. It's highly possible that you'll find the offending program here rather than in \Windows\Startup. If you see a LaunchXX="<some exe>" here, where <some exe> is the offending EXE file mentioned in the reset-time bootup error message, then, just delete it.

Say I get an error message after reset that 'KeyLockRes.exe' is missing. Then, because it (or a direct link to it) can't be found in \Windows\Startup, I just go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init] with a registry editor and look for the string 'KeyLockRes.exe'. If I see something like this:

"Launch57"="KeyLockRes.exe"

then, I just delete it.

Please note that a lot of very important, system-level processes are run from them. A non-exhaustive list of them: services.exe, srvtrust.exe, connmgr.exe, shell32.exe, gwes.exe, device.exe and shell.exe. You should never delete these ones!

(Btw, there is another kind of error dialog, similar to the ones you have, which is only visible when you switch on (not reset!) your device; but then, it always appears (as opposed to the problems you're having). Check on http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/ ... hp?t=36471 on them if you're interested.)
Menneisyys
pm Member

Postby RedruM » May 15, 2005 @ 9:39am

Thanks, I got rid of the programs sitting in the start up folder, but again... I have a problem, heh, dont know how or why but there is no button settings in the control panel on my PPC, so when I try to install my other button program it wont work because of the missing button settings. :roll:
RedruM
pm Member

Postby Menneisyys » May 15, 2005 @ 1:46pm

RedruM wrote:there is no button settings in the control panel on my PPC

There is no Buttons icon at Settings/Personal?

The Buttons applet, as with all system-level control applets, is controlled by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel. If there is an entry named Buttons in there, then, the Buttons applet is visible; if not, it's not.

Some program must have deleted this registry entry. Therefore, all you have to do is importing the following in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Buttons]
"Group"=dword:00000000

It'll make your Buttons applet visible again (after a soft reset).
Menneisyys
pm Member

Return to Windows Mobile

Sort

Forum Description

General Windows Mobile discussion for end-users. Hardware, software, etc. This is also the forum to post your product announcements and other news.

Moderators:

Dan East, sponge, Kevin Gelso, RICoder, Chris Edwards

Forum permissions